Daily Archives: April 14, 2016

Sci-Fi Shipping Containers

Buck

Finished sci-fi shipping container next to a Woodbine 28mm figure

Finished sci-fi shipping container next to a Woodbine 28mm figure

I recently ended up with a stack of unwanted hexagonal bases from the Reaper CAV Kickstarter.  Why all the tanks I ordered came with all these bases, I don’t know, but they did.  I was trying to figure out what to do with them.  As I was holding a couple together contemplating their potential, I hit upon this idea

A blister pack of hexagonal bases

A blister pack of hexagonal bases

Six of these bases come in a blister pack from Reaper.  They are textured on the top and have some support structures on the underside.

Bases glued together and primed black

Bases glued together and primed black

So, I glued six of them together with E-6000, sprayed them black, and then dry brushed them with a couple shades of gray and white.  I also printed some labels in alien symbols to mark the boxes.  I think the effect is pretty good, and they will be great in the cargo hold of the space ship I plan to build for 28mm science fiction Combat Patrol games.

.

from Buck’s Blog http://ift.tt/1Vow272
via IFTTT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/22y4sDv
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Bones II; Mi-Sher (Female Fighter/Thug)

Chris Palmer

     I painted up Mi-Sher this week.  She is supposed to be wielding two swords, but I had borrowed her second sword a while back to use with my Chronomancer Apprentice, Sascha Dubois; and the figure had been sitting around my painting table off-handedly 🙂 until I realized recently that with just one hand she would make a good Thug for Frostgrave. So, I found a suitable replacement hand from my bits box of hard plastic figure parts, and after prepping the figure, I super-glued the hand in place.  But I’m getting ahead of myself.
    I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the plastic hand in place.  Next, I glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.

  I began by painting the hand White.  Next, I did her face with Americana “Shading Flesh”.  Then I painted her pants with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”, and her tunic with Americana “Forest Green”.

   Next, I painted her hood and the scarf-like pieces hanging off of it with Americana “Terra Cotta”. Then I painted the corset-like part she’s wearing with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and then the scarf she’s wearing like a belt with Apple Barrel “Apple Blue Spruce”. Next, I painted the little bits of hair visible under the hood with Folk Art “Dark Brown”.

     I panted her footwear with Nicole’s “Brown”, her gloves with Americana “Raw Umber”, and her wrist guards with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”. I painted the calf wraps with Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki”, and the scabbard on her back with Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”.

        After the paint had a while to dry, I gave the browns and the skin all a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.  When the wash was dry, I then gave her tunic and the green belt/scarf a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Green” ink using a wet brush.  When the ink was dry, I highlighted her hair with Americana “Sable Brown”, and then painted her eyes and lips and then highlighted her face.

         Next, I highlighted the hood/scarf thing with a mix of “Terra Cotta” and Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”. I then highlighted the pants with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”.  Her tunic was the next part I highlighted using a mix of Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”, and Crafter’s Acrylic “Wild Green”.  The belt/scarf, and the scabbard on her back,  I highlighted with a mix of the “Apple Blue Spruce” and some Folk Art “Gray Green”. The corset-like piece I highlighted with Americana “Khaki Tan”.

         I then highlighted her footwear and her gloves with the “Sable Brown”. Next, I highlighted her wrist guards with a mix of the “Burnt Sienna” and the “Maple Sugar Tan”. The wraps on her calves I highlighted with the base “Dusty Khaki”.
   At this point I turned to the metallic parts.  I began by painting the sword, the fittings on the scabbard on her back,  and the various buttons on her footwear, and wristguards, with Americana “Neutral Grey”.  I then painted the insects (scarabs?) on her footwear with the “Forest Green”.  I went back and painted over all the parts I had painted the “Neutral Grey” with Folk Art Metallics  "Gunmetal Grey", and then did highlights with Folk Art Metallics “Silver Sterling”.  I then painted over the bugs on her footwear with Folk Art “Metallic Emerald Green”.
     I painted the base White, and when dry I glued on a 10mm figure I had prepared earlier to look like a small broken statue by cutting it roughly into two parts and then painting it.  First, Black, then drybrushed it with Americana “Neutral Grey”, followed with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning.  Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

     I’m generally happy with how the figure came out.  The pose may be a little awkward without the second sword, but I like to think it looks like she is signaling to a compatriot as she runs along, or perhaps preparing to climb a ruin.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1Sid7dJ
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/20FqpRE
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: