I got back to the Necromancer set this past week, and painted the Leisynn, Mercenary Mage figure. I was apprehensive going in to this “not-Tim the Enchanter” figure, as it just seemed so busy with all the horns, the ornate staff and book, and the huge shoulder pads and skull-decorated hangings coming off of them. I was further discouraged when halfway though painting him I discovered he has a mold line running down his face! I knew I had to do him, so the only way to finish a figure is to start with the first color, and just keep adding one more color after that. And so I began…
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting the figure entirely in Black. I then drybrushed him with Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”. I then painted his skin with Folk Art “Milkshake”
Next, I painted his beard with Americana “Zinc”, and his staff with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”. I painted the outer edges of his shoulder pads, the hangings that come off of them, and the cover of the book, all with Ceramcoat “Black Cherry”. Next, I painted the animal skulls with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, and the book pages with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”.
I then painted his horns with Americana “Mississippi Mud”; and the textured portions of his shoulder pads, as well as the corners, and decorations on the book cover, with the “Raw Sienna”. I also went back and painted the skulls on the hangings with the “Zinc”. Then, after everything had a while to dry, I gave all the non-Black parts a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.
When the wash was dry, I began work on the highlights. I started with the two animal skulls, painting them first with Crafter’s Edition “Taupe”, and then with Americana “Buttermilk” followed with detail highlights using Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”. I then did the two sets of horns; first using the base “Mississippi Mud”, then mixing in a little Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and lastly plain “Barn Wood”. Next, I did his beard and hair, with first Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, and then detail highlights with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. I moved to his face and hands next, first painting the eyes, then doing highlights with the base “Milkshake” followed by a little “Light Antique White” on the tip of his nose.
I was going to make the pages of the book much lighter, but as I looked at them I decided I really like the heavily yellowed look they had. So, I just gave the edges a little highlight hit with some Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and then painted the bookmark, and some of the big lettering on the pages with Crafter’s Acrylic “Deep Red”. While I had the “Deep Red” out, I used it to highlight the edges of the shoulder pads and the attached hangings. Next, I took some black and used it to write in tiny lines of text in the book.
It was time to do the metallics now, so I used some Ceramcoat “Bronze” to do his shoulder pads, and the markings and corners on the covers of the book. I also used it to do his belt buckle. Next I used some Folk Art Metallics “Silver Sterling” to paint the skulls on his shoulder hanging.
I now worked on completing the staff. I had wanted it to look like it was all carved from the same piece of wood, rather than the snake being separate, so I simply added highlights with Americana “Sable Brown”. I then painted in the snake’s eyes using Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”, and then added tiny White highlight dots to them. I wanted to try to make it look like a glow was emanating from the snake’s mouth, so I first painted it with Crafter’s Acrylic “Citrus Green”, and then drybrushed the “Citrus Green” along the mouth’s edges. Next, while the “Citrus Green” was still wet, I used White to paint the very center of the mouth, blending it in with the paint around it. Lastly, I painted some highlights on the tongue, teeth, and along the edges with Reaper MSP Bones “Dungeon Slime”. I finished up by painting the figure’s base completely with White.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Then, the next morning I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock. Later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I actually grew to like this figure as I went along; and I think he turned out looking much better than I had expected. I’m now torn as to which figure to use as my Frostgrave Necromancer; this figure, or Malek, who I completed a couple weeks ago.
via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1RzHavf
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1W5e2hm