Knowing I would be short of time for painting this past week due to Spring Break traveling, I skipped doing another figure from the Necromancer set that I had been working on, and instead selected one of the simpler figures from the Townsfolk II set to paint: the Village Rioter.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting his head and right hand with Americana “Shading Flesh”. I then painted his pants with Crafter’s Acrylic “Navy Blue”, his tunic with Nicole’s “Brown”, and his cowl with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.
Next, I painted the torch with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and the shaft of his pitchfork with Folk Art “Barn Wood”. I then painted his gloved hand with Folk Art “Dapple Grey”. I used Folk Art “Dark Brown” to paint his shoes, and Folk Art “Porcelain White” to paint his socks.
I painted his hair with Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and then painted his belt and pouch with Americana “Asphaltum”. I let the paint dry for a while, and then gave the entire figure a wash with Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” ink using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I painted the fire on his torch using a series of five colors progressing from a light yellow to a brick red-orange. I then added a little Black at the bottom of the flames to help blend them into the top of the torch handle, and a little Black at the top to make the flames look a little sooty. Next, I painted the head of the pitchfork, his belt buckle, and the fitting on the torch handle, with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.
I decided the pitchfork looked too new, so I mixed some of the “Asphaltum” and “Gunmetal Grey” together to get a more aged looking metal color, and painted the base of the fork with that, transitioning up to the bare “Gunmetal Grey” on the tines.
I then highlighted his hair using Americana “Buttermilk”; followed by painting his eyes, and then highlighting his face with the base “Shading Flesh”, then a little of the “Shading Flesh” mixed with some Americana “Mocha” to do lighter highlights. Next, I highlighted his cowl with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and his tunic with Americana “Sable Brown”. I then did highlights on his pants with Americana “Wedgewood Blue”, and on his socks with the base “Porcelain White”. I highlighted his shoes, and his belt and pouch, with Crafter’s Edition “Spice Brown”, and his glove with the base “Dapple Grey”. After that, I highlighted the torch handle with the base “Mississippi Mud”, and the pitchfork shaft with the base “Barn Wood”. Lastly, I painted the figures sculpted base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
After the figure had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” the following morning. Later that morning I flocked the base, and that evening I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m happy with how he turned out. Nothing fancy, just a good solid villager figure.
Figure 208 of 266: Complete