Daily Archives: March 1, 2016

My Frostgrave Warband

Chris Palmer    I had a request over on the Reaper Forum for a portrait of my complete Frostgrave warband.  I had been playing the game so far with a mix of figures specifically painted up for Frostgrave with snow bases, and existing figures in my collection that were on regular grassed bases. I had been busily painting figures for Frostgrave, but had been working on several warbands in parallel, and hadn’t actually completed a full one.   Since our group had started its Frostgrave campaign last month, I had been making a concentrated effort to finish my main Illusionist warband that I am using for the campaign, and completed the final figure this past weekend.  I sat down today and took some shots of the complete group.
    (Note: Before the sharp-eyed cry foul, after the first game my group settled in an old inn, allowing them to add an extra figure to the warband)

“What strange magic is this?”, said the wizard Kodak, as the man set up the odd optical device before the group.  "It is a machine for the making of a permanent image,“ said the man. "Like a painting, but with more realism and much quicker.”
“I’d like to see such magic!” said the curious illusionist.

Left to right: My Illusionist, Kodak (Reaper); his apprentice, Cherowyn (Reaper);  the templar, Sister Elessa (Reaper); The treasure hunter, Jack (Reaper); archer, Edel (Reaper); and archer, Weiss (Reaper)

Left to Right: The thief, Cadwalleter (Games Workshop); the thief, Agamemnon, (Games Workshop & Wargames Factory); the thief, Linnese (Games Workshop); the thug, Bash (Games Workshop & Wargames Factory) and the thug, Doc. (Games Workshop & Wargames Factory).

Our next campaign session is this weekend, so I’m looking forward to getting this group on the table.

via One More Gaming Project http://ift.tt/1WTTiY0
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1RkHN7Z
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Winter of Discontent Supplement for Combat Patrol(TM)

Buck

Discontent breaks out in a village street

Discontent breaks out in a village street

I recently posted a (free) supplement to Combat Patrol™: World War II to play games set in the emerging genre of political unrest and revolution in the UK in the Winter of ’79.  The supplement does not attempt to expand the back story but merely provides the stats and options rules for Combat Patrol to give it that Winter of Discontent flavor.  The supplement is available for a free download on the rules’ Web page.

I am getting a lot of feedback from players of Combat Patrol™ for supplements and optional rules for different eras and theaters.  For instance, I recently also posted a supplement for the 1939 Winter War.  As time permits, I will post more of these supplements.  Writing the supplement is relatively straight forward, but it can take weeks or months to do enough research to be able to know what optional rules are needed to provide the right feel for the era, campaign, or theater.

The one I am currently working on is for the south Pacific in WWII.  I am struggling with the best way to deal with Japanese morale and trying to balance the common gamer and Hollywood mythology with historical fact.  I have gotten a number of requests for modern Iraq and Afghanistan as well.

from Buck’s Blog http://ift.tt/1ngtRDP
via IFTTT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1TOT1Gu
via IFTTT

Bones I “Ghoul Queen” Quick and Simple Conversion

Chris Palmer

    I wanted to add a couple properly snow based necromancers to my Frostgrave collection, so I looked through the Bones I Necromancers set and selected two, one of which was the Ghoul Queen.  I figure she will make a good apprentice for my Necromancer warband.  As I studied the figure, I was bothered by the fact that she seemed to be wearing two scabbards, one with a sword and the other empty.  I thought the empty scabbard looked kind of useless and redundant, so decided I would reduce her scabbard count down to one, and make it one that had a sword in it.

      Now, the easy thing to do would have been to remove the top sword, which is a glued on addition anyway, cut the hilt off and then glued the hilt to the empty scabbard.  But the scabbard on her back is the cooler one with the bone additions, so some more intensive surgery would be necessary.

      First thing I did was use my hobby knife to pry the bone-scabbard sword off her back

      Next, I very carefully cut the empty scabbard below the lower attachment ring, and then sliced it off the back of her dress.  I then took the bone-scabbard sword, and cut it into four pieces, hilt, center section, lower section, and the little pin knob that fit into the hole in her back.

   After the surgery, it was a simple matter to glue the lower half of the bone-scabbard in place, then attach the hilt, and secure the cords hanging from it to the empty scabbard piece that remained below her right hand. I then glued the pin knob into the hole in her back and when it was dry, I sliced it down to be even with her back.

      I’m really pleased with how this conversion turned out.  In my opinion, it makes the figure look much more streamlined and less busy.    

     I won’t be able to paint this figure for a couple weeks, I have orcs queued up in front of it; but I certainly am looking forward to it.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1QkcXhT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1XY1vvt
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: