This week I completed the Hordlings set from the Bones II, Expansion I. I needed something quick and simple to do because, like I said with my Monday figure, I was traveling over Spring Break, so knew my painting time would be limited.
Since there were three of these figures in the set, I decided to base up two of them for Frostgrave, to represent Minor Demons; and the third I based regularly for other Fantasy games. I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued one of the figure to a black-primed 7/8" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue and the other two to white-primed 7/8" fender washer. I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue each.
I began by painting the Hordlings with Crafter’s Acrylic “Citrus Green”, and then when the “Citrus Green” was dry, I gave it a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Green” ink using a wet brush. When the ink was dry, I painted the tentacles and wings of the center Hoardling, and the spine bumps of the first and third Hoardlings, with Apple Barrel “Apple Lavender”.
When the “Apple Lavender” was dry I gave the tentacles, wings, and spine bumps all a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Purple” ink using a wet brush. I then applied some slight thinned Black paint to the mouths of Hoardling 1 and 3, and painted the eye sockets on all three with the Black. I then went back and painted the eyes with Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”.
My next step was to paint the tongue on 3 with Crafter’s Acrylic “Purple Passion”, followed by doing the teeth on 1 and 3 with Americana “Buttermilk”, and then highlighting the teeth with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”. I then painted their irises with Crafter’s Acrylic “Deep Red”, followed by Black pupils. Next, I added highlights to the wings, tentacles, tongue, and spine bumps with the “Apple Lavender” followed by doing highlights on their bodies with Reaper MSP Bones “Dungeon Slime”. Lastly, I painted the horns on the third one with Americana “Neutral Grey”, and when dry, I gave the horns a wash with some GW Agrax Earthshade" using a wet brush.
After I was finished painting the figures, I cut a small section of the sprue these Hoardlings came on and glued it to the base of the second one to represent some old stonework; and when dry, I painted it with Americana Zinc and then drybrushed it with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”, followed by Folk Art “Platinum Grey”. Then, when everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the first two’s bases with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock, and the third one’s base with regular green flock. The next day, I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m happy with how these little fellows turned out. They were quick to do, and I was glad to have an excuse to use some vibrant colors for a change.