This week I found time to start the Bedeviled Set, and completed Sinessa, Hellborn Sorceress. When I was looking at the figure and considering how I wanted to paint her, I thought she might work good as some kind of ice demon for my Frostgrave games, so I decided to paint her in a more wintery paint scheme. I also thought I would experiment with the techniques for making ice bases written my MonkeySloth on the Reaper forums: Ice Base Tutorial .
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting all the skin with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”. When it was dry, I gave it a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Mid Blue” Ink using a wet brush. I then painted her horns with GW “Shadow Grey”, and her hair with Americana “Neutral Grey”.
Next, I painted her spear with Americana “Buttermilk”, and when it was dry, I gave it a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush. I then painted her skirt and collar with Crafter’s Acrylic “Navy Blue”.
Then, when the wash on her spear was dry, I drybrushed it with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”. Then I painted the top of the spearhead with GW “Ice Blue”. I also used the “Ice Blue” to paint a section of the base. Next, I did highlights on her hair; first with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”, and then with “White”. I then also drybrushed the spearhead with white as well. I then did highlights on her horns with Folk Art “Settlers Blue”.
Next, I painted her eyes, doing her pupils with Americana “True Blue”. I then highlighted all her skin with the base “Cool Blue”. I then did highlights on her skirts and collar with my new bottle of Reaper MSP Bones “Tropical Blue”, that I had received as a freebie during their 12 Days of Christmas promotion. I also used the “Tropical Blue” to paint the sleeves under her arm guards, and her shoes. When dry, I painted over the “Tropical Blue” arm guard sleeves and shoes with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”. I next used Ceramcoat “Bronze to paint all her armor, and when this was dry, I highlighted it with Ceramcaot "14K Gold”.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Then, the following day, I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote. Later that evening, I gave her spearhead a couple coats of Americana “DuraClear Gloss Varnish” to make it look more ice-like. I also painted over the section of base I had earlier painted “Ice Blue”, with Distress “Rock Candy” crackle paint. I also, while the crackle paint was still wet, put a hunk of dried “Rock Candy” paint* in the wet paint to look like a large chunk of ice. I set this aside for a couple days for the crackle paint to dry.
When it had dried, I drybrushed it with White paint. I also, at this point, decided I wanted to make the spearhead look a bit more icy, so I added some Woodland Scenics “Water Effects” to the tips. The next day, I flocked the base with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock.
|Water Effects added to spearhead.|
I’m very happy with how the figure turned out. I think she looks suitably frosty to be some sort of ice demon. I’m also happy to have reached the point where I can start the minus 10 countdown to 200 figures completed.
Figure 190 of 265: Complete
* Several weeks ago, I had poured an eighth of an inch of the “Rock Candy” paint into a small plastic cup, and let it dry. When it had dried, I was able to crack it up into many little ice-like chunks.