This week I also completed the Town Guard Swordsman from the Bones II, Expansion 2. I hadn’t bought Expansion 2 during the Kickstarter, but I was able to get the Town Guard set from a friend, as I was keen to use them for Frostgrave soldiers.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting the chainmail Black, and then drybrushing it with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.
I painted his face an hands with Americana “Shading Flesh”. Then I painted his pants with Citadel “Snakebite Leather”, and his tunic with Americana “Cranberry Wine”. I painted the cowl around his neck and head with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”.
Next, I painted his belts and straps, his helmet, and his sword grip with Accent “Real Umber”, and his shoes with Crafters Edition “Spice Brown”. I then gave all the non-metallic parts a wash with GW Agrax Earthshade using a wet brush. While the wash was drying, I painted the round parts on the front of his chainmail with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.
When the wash was dry, I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his skin with the base “Shading Flesh”. His pants were highlighted with the base “Snakebite Leather”, and his tunic with Folk Art “Burgundy”. His cowl I highlighted with the base “Deep Khaki”. I then painted his scabbard with the “Burgundy”. I did his shield with Crafters Edition “Christmas Red”, and decorated it with Apple Barrel “Yellow”. I then painted his sword, helmet banding, and the rim of his shield with Folk Art “Gunmetal Grey”, and then highlighted these parts with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”. I also use the “Silver Sterling to add highlights to his chainmail.
Lastly, I painted his base White. I then applied a little area of white glue to the base and sprinkled some sand on it. When the glue was dry, I painted the sanded area with Ceramcoat Walnut. Then when it was dry, I drybrushed it with Folk Art "Medium Grey”, then Folk Art “Barn Wood”. When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Then, the next morning, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock. Later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
A nice tabletop quality figure. Nothing fancy about either his pose, or the paint job.