This week I also completed the Town Guard Bowman from the Bones II, Expansion 2. I hadn’t bought Expansion 2 during the Kickstarter, but I was able to get the Town Guard set from a friend, as I was keen to use them for Frostgrave soldiers.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting the chainmail Black, and then drybrushing it with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.
Next, I painted his pants with Americana “Territorial Beige”, his tunic with Americana “Avocado”, and his shoulder pads with Crafters Edition “Spice Brown”. His hoodie I painted with Americana “Zinc, and the little secondary shoulder pads under the other shoulder pads I painted Americana "Dapple Grey”
Next, I painted his scabbard with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”, then did the arrow shafts with Crafters Edition “Taupe”, and the fletchings with Folk Art “Porcelain White”. Then, after everything had a while to dry, I gave all the non-metallic parts a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.
After the wash had plenty of time to dry, I began doing highlights. First I painted his eyes, then I highlighted his skin with the base “Shading Flesh”. Next, I highlighted his tunic with some of the “Avocado” mixed with a little Americana “Jade Green”. Then I highlighted his pants with some of the “Khaki Tan”. His double shoulder pads I highlighted with their respective base colors, then I highlighted the bow with its base “Cinnamon Brown” . His boots I highlighted with Americana “Sable Brown”, and then I highlighted his belts, helmet, and scabbard with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. His scabbard I highlighted with the base “Deep Khaki”, and his hood I did with Crafters Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”. The arrow shafts I highlighted with the “Taupe”, and the fletchings I highlighted with Crafters Acrylic “Light Antique White”.
Next, I painted his helmet bands, his buckles, and the metal parts of his sword and scabbard with Accent “Princely Pewter”. I then highlighted these with the “Metallic Pewter”. I also took this opportunity to highlight any of his chainmail armor that needed a touch up with the “Metallic Pewter”.
Lastly, I painted his base White. I then applied a little area of white glue to the base and sprinkled some sand on it. When the glue was dry, I painted the sanded area with Ceramcoat Walnut. Then when it was dry, I drybrushed it with Folk Art “Medium Grey”, then Folk Art “Barn Wood”. When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Then, the next morning, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock. Later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m really pleased with this guy. I think he came out looking good with a nice simple paint job.