Daily Archives: October 26, 2015

Quick and Easy Frostgrave Cork Ruin

Chris Palmer   This week I knocked out a quick Frostgrave ruin made from cork sheet, as a way to test how the cork would  look as a stone building.
      I purchased a pack of these rough textured cork panels from the local Craft Store, with a 50%-off coupon, and thought they would make good rock walls from my Fostgrave ruins.

      So, I fashioned a quick rudimentary ruin by snapping off a section of a cork tile, and cutting it into  three walls. with some simple windows which I framed up with balsa. I then made some small fourth walls, with a doorway, using the window cut-outs.   I then cut out a foamcore base, and glued the ruin to it.  Next, I ran white glue around the base of the walls, and scattered onto the glue any cork scraps, some small gravel, and pieces of rough broken up wood scraps.

     I then painted the whole thing.

   When the paint was dry, I added some snow; and some icicles, which I made with hot glue.

     I’m very pleased with how this turned out, and I think the cork looks good as stone,  but I think I shouldn’t have put the ruin on the big rounded “dirt” foamcore base, as it doesn’t quite fit the city-scape look. I was thinking in terms of how I usually construct buildings for use in a more natural setting.  I think any future ruins I make will be on a more structured squared base, painted like stone.

via One More Gaming Project http://ift.tt/1jL82vk
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1KAvDDW
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Sascha Dubois: Figure 176 of 265

Chris Palmer

   This week I completed the Sascha Dubois figure from the Chronoscope Set.  I had posted an article here two week as ago about how I had converted this figure to be more of a fantasy figure than a sci-fi one, so it could fill the roll of a Chonomancer apprentice for my Frostgrave games.
       I had already prepped the figure in the usual way before I did the conversion work, so I moved directly to gluing the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer’s glue.

     I began by painting her skin with Americana “Shading Flesh”.  I then painted her top with Accent “Mustard Seed”, and her pants with Americana “Zinc”.

     Next, I painted her coat with Accent “Deep Forest Green”, and then went back to the “Mustard Seed” and used that to paint all the facings  and turnbacks on her coat. I then painted her boots, scabbard, belts, and the stone circle she stands on, with Black.  I used to Crafters Edition “Spice Brown” to paint her gloves, and Americana “Territorial Beige” to paint her hair.   When everything had had a while to dry, I gave all the browns,  yellows and her skin a wash with Winsor Newton “peat Brown ink using a wet brush.

   When the wash was dry, I painted her eyes and lips; then highlighted her hair, first with Apple Barrel "Maple Syrup”, and then with Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”.  I then highlighted her skin, first with the base “Shading Flesh”,  then adding a little Crafters Acrylic “Flesh” to it to do some lighter highlights.  I then highlighted her coat, first with Americana “Forest Green”, and then with Americana “Leaf Green”.  Next, I did the highlights on her top, and all the coat facings and turnbacks with, first, Crafters Acrylic “Bright Yellow”, and then Crafters Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”.  Her pants were next, and I highlighted them with, first, Americana “Neutral Grey”, and then Crafters Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”.  Her boots, belts and scabbard I gave highlights with Folk Art “Settlers Blue”. I painted her wand (?) hanging from her belt with the “Spice Brown”, then highlighted the gloves and the wand with Americana “Sable Brown”. I then painted the sword grip with Ameircana “Asphaltum”.
   I then worked on the stone circle, drybrushing it first with Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”, and then with Folk Art “Platinum Grey”.
   

    Next, I worked on the metals, painting her epaulets, buttons, buckles, the pocket watch, the key at her belt, the rings on her wand, and the sword and scabbard parts all with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. I then went back and highlighted all these parts with Cermcoat “14k Gold”.  I then painted the bead string on her belt with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”. Lastly, I painted the base around the stone with “White” to cover any paint that had accidentally gotten on it; and while I had the White out, I panted in the face of the pocket watch, and then got the Black and my thinnest brush and painted a pair of hands on the watch face.
      When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  The next morning I flocked the base around the stone circle with Woodland Scenics “Snow” flock.  Late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

     I’m really pleased with how this figure turned out.  I think  she will fit fine as the Chronomancers Apprentice.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1LwKWS1
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1Xth6mK
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: