This week I also completed the Alistrilee, female elf archer, figure from the Bones II Core Set. I had actually put this figure in my Bones “out” box when I first sorted my Kickstarter, to sell at a con flea market. But since I have been bitten by the Frostgrave bug recently, I pawed through the “out” box to look for suitable candidates who look attired for winter adventuring. I had culled this figure originally as it is rather plain and lacks a dynamic pose, and I already had a selection of elf archers from Bones I, but her hood and cape made her perfect for exploring the ruins of Felstad.
I began by painting her under armor Black, as I had originally intended to drybrush it with a metal color. Then I changed my mind, as archers in Frostgrave wear leather armor, and not metal. So, I decided to do it in a non-metal color to look perhaps like some sort of dyed scale leather armor. I chose Duncan “Slate Blue” and used that to drybrush it. I then painted her pants Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki”, and her jerkin with Americana “Territorial Beige”.
Next, I painted her sleeves with Folk Art “Dapple Grey”, and her boots and arm guards with Folk Art “Butter Pecan” Then I painted her face and hands with Crafters Acrylic “Flesh”, and her hair with Americana “Buttermilk”. I worked on her scabbard next, painting it Americana “Jade Green”, with Duncan “Olive Green” trim. The arrow shafts I painted Folk Art “Porcelain White”, and the fletchings with Crafters Acrylic “Light Antique White (L.A.W.)”. Next I did her bow, painting it Folk Art “Grey Green” with Aleenes “Deep Khaki” trim.
After the paint had a while to dry, I gave the figure a wash with thinned Winsor Newton “Peat Brown” ink, being careful not to get any on the cape or base. When the wash was dry, I did some highlighting on her under armor, first with the base “Slate Blue”, and then with Crafters Acrylic “Cool Blue”. I then worked on her cape and hood; first painting the cape with Folk Art “Celadon Green”, and then when that was dry, adding shadows with thinned Americana “Salem Blue”.
I’m really happy with how this figure turned out, and quite honestly it was a nice change of pace to paint a simple figure without 5 layers of clothing and a dozen things hanging off them, many of which you need to guess at what exactly they are. I found with the simplicity I was able to take my time and really enjoy the process.
For them that likes a close up, here you go:
In other news, I spent part of the morning boiling some Bones terrain (the Dragons Don’t Share ruins and the Mashaaf base to be exact) in an old pot I picked up earlier this week at the local Goodwill. After a 15-20 minute boil, I dropped the pieces into pot of ice water, and did my best to hold the bases flat on the bottom of the ice-water pot so the pieces would set up correctly. So far I’m pleased with the results; not 100% flat but about 90%-95%, which I can live with.