This week I painted this fellow with 2 weapons from the Heroes set. I could not find him listed on the Reaper online store anywhere, so I could not find out his name. If any of you can locate him on their website and provide me with a name and stock number I’d appreciate it. Did he never make it into their catalog? He’s only shown as concept art in the Kickstarter page, so I don’t think he came from an existing mini. Anyway, this fellow marks the end of the Heroes set, so it joins the list of completed sets over on the right.
I wasn’t particularly inspired by this figure, so thought I would use him to experiment doing a figure in colored armor, and another one all in just one color scheme (The other all-one-color-scheme figure I did was the Dwarf Wizard, who I did all in grays).
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1.25" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
I began by painting all the areas where he wears armor with Black. Then, when the Black was dry, I drybrushed his armor with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”. I then went over it a little lighter with Folk Art “Aqua Moire” Pearl acrylic (which kind of has a pearlescent sheen that looks somewhat like a metallic acrylic).
Next, I painted his boots, belt, pouches, and gauntlets Black. I painted his hood and the tiny areas of leg that show with Crafters Acrylic “Navy Blue”. His kilt? skirt? pleated lower body garment? I painted Crafters Acrylic “Tropical Blue”.
His scabbards I painted Americana “Wedgewood Blue”, and his face I painted Crafters Acrylic “Flesh”. I then gave his pleated lower body garment a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Blue” ink using a wet brush. When this was dry, I painted his blades with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”, and the hilts, belt buckle, and scabbard fittings with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.
Next, I gave his face a wash with some Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” Ink using a wet brush. I then worked on highlighting the pleated garment with first the base “Tropical Blue”, and then the lighter Americana “Salem Blue”. I then drybrushed the parts I had painted Black, as well as the “Navy Blue” hood, with Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue” to highlight them. I mixed a little of the “Salem Blue” into the “Wedgewood Blue” to do highlights to the scabbards. I decided I wanted to add a little extra something to the boots, so I went back and painted the medallion on the front with the “Bronze”.
By then the wash on the face was dry, so I did highlights on the face with the base “Flesh”, then added a little white and did a finer highlight on the nose. I did highlights on the blades with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”, and highlights on the parts I had painted “Bronze with Cermcoat "14K Gold”. I finished up by adding detailed highlights to the armor with the “Aqua Moire” pearl acrylic. Lastly, I painted the white base with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
After the figure had the overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” the next morning. That afternoon I flocked the base, and the next morning I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m actually rather pleased with how this figure turned out. I think the all-blue look, and the blue armor, came out looking pretty nifty.
Figure 167 of 265: Complete