Burrowing Horror: Bones II Core Set Figure

Chris Palmer

     This week I also painted the Burrowing Horror figure from the Bones II Core Set as part of my continuing effort to work on some of the larger figures from this Kickstarter.  While this is a nifty figure, and certainly quick to paint, it suffers from a lack of any kind of dynamic aspect to its pose.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the troll to a 2" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  The 2" washer was big enough to just hand hold, so I didn’t glue it to a tongue depressor.

    I began by painting all the scales along the back and the legs, and the armor plates on the head with Americana “Zinc”. I then filled in the areas I hadn’t painted with the “Zinc”: the sides, underbelly, and the backs and bottoms of the legs, with Americana “Charcoal Grey”. Next, I painted the mouth and the claws with Black, and the area behind the large central plate on the figure’s back with Americana “Shading Flesh”.

   After these colors had several hours to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with GW “Badab Black” wash using a wet brush.

   Once the wash had had a few hours to dry, I drybrushed the entire beastie with DecoArt “Storm Cloud Grey”. I then took a fine brush and outlined each of the scale and plate edges with the “Storm Cloud Grey”. I then took the base “Shading Flesh” and painted highlights on the area behind the large back plate. I followed this with using some Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh” to do some smaller fine highlights on that area.

      Next, I drybrushed the claws with Folk Art “Settlers Blue”. I then painted all the teeth with Americana “Buttermilk”.  I let that dry, and then gave the teeth a wash with Winsor Newton “Peat Brown ” Ink using a wet brush.   When this wash was dry, I added highlights to the teeth with DecoArt “Light Antique White”. Lastly, I painted the eyes with Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon”, and then added small highlights with Cermacoat “Bright Red”, and finally small pinpoint highlights with White.
     After the figure had the afternoon to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” in the evening.  The next morning I flocked the base, and later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

   I’m pleased with how this figure turned out.  It was a fun and quick one to paint.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1J1OpDK
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1JeFg0K
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: