Halbarand, Cleric: Figure 159 of 265

Chris Palmer

   This week I completed Halbarand, the Cleric from the Heroes set.  Looking at this figure I was struck by his warhammer  😉 , and it automatically made me think of Games Workshop. This led to the idea of painting him to resemble a Space Marine in some fashion.
        I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.

      I began by painting his armor Black, and when the Black was dry I drybrushed the figure with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.  I then went over this with a lighter drybrushing of Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.

    Next, I painted his surcoat and the outside of his cape with GW “Ultramarines Blue.  I painted the lining of the cape with White.  I painted his belt, scabbard and the cover of his book with Black, and the pages of the book with Americana "Buttermilk”.  His face I painted with DecoArt “Flesh”.

    After these color had had a chance to dry, I then gave his head and the book pages a wash with some Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” ink using a wet brush.  When the ink was dry, I painted his hair, mustache and eyebrows Black.  When the Black had dried, I gave his hair a light drybrushing with some DecoArt “Storm Cloud Grey”.  I also used this color to add some highlights to his mustache and eyebrows.  I then painted some of the decorative trim on his armor, warhammer, and the metal fittings on his book, with Cermacoat"Bronze".  I also painted the letters “G. W.” on the book cover with the “Bronze”.

     Next, I  painted his eyes with Black sockets, White whites, and Black pupils.  I then added highlights to his face with base “Flesh”.   I painted the decorative trim on his surcoat and cape with White, as well as some of the decorative “diamond” shaped elements on his armor.  I added highlights to his cape and surcoat with some of the “Ultramarines Blue” mixed with a little White, and to the edge of the book cover with Folk Art “Settlers Blue”.  Then I went over all the parts I had painted with the Bronze and gave them highlights with Cermacoat “14K Gold”.  I finished up by going back over his armor and adding highlights with the “Silver Sterling”.    Lastly, I painted his white integral base with Cermacoat “Walnut”.
      After the figure had had a while to dry, I dug out some old Space Marine decals I had, cut out one of the Ultamarine insignia, and applied it to the front of his surcoat.   I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  Later that afternoon I flocked the base.   The next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

   I’m really pleased with how he turned out.  This isn’t the greatest sculpt, as his head is kind of smooshed a bit, so doesn’t look good at some angles, and was a little harder to paint than normal heads.  

Figure 159 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1Hsy7Jv
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1CEsCzW
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: