This week I completed Halbarand, the Cleric from the Heroes set. Looking at this figure I was struck by his warhammer 😉 , and it automatically made me think of Games Workshop. This led to the idea of painting him to resemble a Space Marine in some fashion.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
I began by painting his armor Black, and when the Black was dry I drybrushed the figure with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”. I then went over this with a lighter drybrushing of Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
Next, I painted his surcoat and the outside of his cape with GW “Ultramarines Blue. I painted the lining of the cape with White. I painted his belt, scabbard and the cover of his book with Black, and the pages of the book with Americana "Buttermilk”. His face I painted with DecoArt “Flesh”.
After these color had had a chance to dry, I then gave his head and the book pages a wash with some Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” ink using a wet brush. When the ink was dry, I painted his hair, mustache and eyebrows Black. When the Black had dried, I gave his hair a light drybrushing with some DecoArt “Storm Cloud Grey”. I also used this color to add some highlights to his mustache and eyebrows. I then painted some of the decorative trim on his armor, warhammer, and the metal fittings on his book, with Cermacoat"Bronze". I also painted the letters “G. W.” on the book cover with the “Bronze”.
Next, I painted his eyes with Black sockets, White whites, and Black pupils. I then added highlights to his face with base “Flesh”. I painted the decorative trim on his surcoat and cape with White, as well as some of the decorative “diamond” shaped elements on his armor. I added highlights to his cape and surcoat with some of the “Ultramarines Blue” mixed with a little White, and to the edge of the book cover with Folk Art “Settlers Blue”. Then I went over all the parts I had painted with the Bronze and gave them highlights with Cermacoat “14K Gold”. I finished up by going back over his armor and adding highlights with the “Silver Sterling”. Lastly, I painted his white integral base with Cermacoat “Walnut”.
After the figure had had a while to dry, I dug out some old Space Marine decals I had, cut out one of the Ultamarine insignia, and applied it to the front of his surcoat. I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the base. The next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m really pleased with how he turned out. This isn’t the greatest sculpt, as his head is kind of smooshed a bit, so doesn’t look good at some angles, and was a little harder to paint than normal heads.
Figure 159 of 265: Complete