Mummy Lich: Figure 158 of 265

Chris Palmer

    This week I wrapped up the Who’s Your Mummy set, (see what I did there 😉  ), by painting the Mummy Lich figure.  This set now joins the list of completed sets over on the right.  I fell back on the same mummy method I used for the rest of the set for this figure as well.  I saw this figure as some sort of ex-high ranking priestess, and I wanted to do her outfit in mainly white and gold.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.

     I began by painting any exposed skin with Folk Art “Poppy Seed”.   I then painted all the bandages, though I think these are more drapes than classic mummy bandages) on the figure with  DecoArt “Light Antique White”.

     Next, I panted the blades on her back, collar piece, headdress, staff, jewelry, and front hangings at her waist, and any other assorted decorative adornments with Cermacoat “Bronze”. I painted the scarab on her back, and what appeared to be a scarab shape on her belt with Folk Art “Metallic Emerald Green”.   I painted the back of the long front waist hanging with  Aceent “Real Umber”.

   I decided to add a few more “Metallic Emerald Green” bits, and painted the egg shape on her head dress, and a small circular decoration on her staff.  Next, I used Americana “True Blue” and  Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”  to paint  some of the sculpted-in decorations on the waist hangings as well as the staff head.

      When all the paint had had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with  GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash, using a wet brush.

    When the wash had had time to dry, I started work on the highlights.   First, I added simple dot eyes with Americana “Olive Green”.  I then added a drop of Iron Wind Metals “Mid Green” Ink (which also, is almost a neon green)to each socket. This gave the eye sockets more of that glowing look.
       I then highlighted the skin with the base “Poppy Seed”, and then I took some Folk Art “Porcelain White” and highlighted the sutures down her front and gently drybrushed the teeth with this color to help define them better.  I highlighted the drapings with the base “Light Antique White”.   I highlighted the blue areas with the base “True Blue”, and the red parts with the base “Deep Tomato Red”.   All the ornamentations and decorations that  I had painted with the “Bronze”,  I highlighted with Ceramcoat “14K Gold”.   Lastly, I painted the figure’s white integral base with Ceramcoat Walnut.
     After everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  That afternoon I gave the base a coat of Elmer’s white glue, and dunked it in a sand mixture.   When the sand had dried, I gave it a coat of the “Walnut” paint that I had heavily thinned.  When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with first, Americana “Khaki Tan”, an then Americana “Buttermilk”.  That evening I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1I9La16
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1K72yVZ
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: