Daily Archives: June 4, 2015

28mm Frog God Idols

Chris Palmer   A few years ago, while on a trip, I found these little carved wood frog toys in a gift shop.  They came with a stick in their mouth, and when you rubbed the stick up and down their ridged back the frogs made a croaking sound.  I thought their primitive hand-carved style would be perfect for use with my 28mm Frog armies from Eureka.  However, I stuck them in a draw to be worked on at a later date and forgot about them.  I came across them this passed weekend, and thought it was about time I finished this languishing project.
    I had long since got rid of their rubbing sticks, but needed to deal with their large holes in their mouths where the sticks had been stored.  So, I used some epoxy putty to fill the holes and set them aside to dry.

You cans see one of  the large holes in the frog on the left.  The one of the right has been filled.

    I then cut a pair of old computer discs into rough oval shapes, and glued the frogs to them with Tacky glue.  When the glue was dry, I sprayed them with flat black spray paint.

    After the spray paint dried, I drybrushed the frogs in shades of gray paint.  When the paint was dry, I flocked the based, and then sprayed them with clear matte Krylon.

Shown with one of my 28mm Frog warriors from Eureka Miniatures

     I’m pleased with how these came out, and they were so quick and simple to finish up I’m mad I waited so long to get to them.  Surely, with the frog gods now on my side, my frog armies will be invincible!

via One More Gaming Project http://ift.tt/1GmOZRt
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1QtCuD1
via IFTTT

Large Water Elemental: Bones II Figure

Chris Palmer

  This week I also completed the Large Water Elemental from the Bones II Water Elementals Add-On Option.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.   I then glued the figure to a 2" brown-primed (It was brown because it was left over from another project and was the only washer I had on hand that would fit this large figure.) fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I didn’t need to glue the washer to a tongue depressor as it was big enough to hold easily in my hand while painting.

     I began by giving the whole figure a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Deep Turquoise” ink applied liberally with a very wet brush.

     When the ink was dry, I drybrushed the entire figure with Americana “Salem Blue”.
     I then dry brushed the figure with White, trying mainly to hit the edges and tips of the waves.
     After the figure had overnight to dry,  I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Gloss” Varnish.  When this was dry, I flocked the base.  I let the flock dry, and then I painted some of the DuraClear Gloss" Varnish on the flock immediately around the figure to give the impression of a wet area on the ground around the elemental.

    I’m really pleased with how this figure turned out.  I think the watery look really comes across.

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1JnVeEY
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1Q9moDy
via IFTTT

%d bloggers like this: