Lysette, Female Elf: Figure 154 of 265

Chris Palmer

     This week I painted Lysette, Female Elf, from the Klocke Classics Set.  I didn’t really have a plan going into this figure…and kind of just started applying paint knowing I had to get it completed in time to post today.  This caused a couple errors that I had to deal with along the way.  This figure’s completion puts me halfway though the Klocke set.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  The staff was actually sculpted to the bottom of the dress, which caused it to bow badly. So I had to trim it off the dress, and used steam from a kettle to help straighten it.   I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
    I forgot to take an unpainted starting shot, so we’ll get straight to the step-by-step. As, I mentioned I didn’t really have a plan, but I had recently bought a bottle of Folk Art “Thicket” in the discount rack at the local Craft store, so I was eager to use it.  So, I began by painting the dress with it.  I then painted the cuffs, bodice front, shoulder pads, and skirt straps with Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”.  I then started to paint the skin with GW “Elf Flesh”, and did everything but the leg when I realized I probably wanted to do a black wash on the dress and gray parts, but not get any on the flesh, so I stopped painting the flesh at that point until I could do the wash.

I did the black wash with GW “Badab Black” wash using a wet brush. After the figure had time to dry, I did highlights on the dress with first the base “Thicket”, and then I mixed about 50/50 “Thicket” and Folk Art “Hauser Green Medium” to make a lighter shade. I did highlights on the gray parts with the base “Rock Grey”.  I went back and painted the leg with the “Elf Flesh” and cleaned up any areas where the black wash had got on the skin.   I then painted her scabbard belt, pouches, and shoe with  Americana “Zinc”.

     Next, I gave all the skin parts a wash with Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” ink using a wet brush.  Then, when the ink wash was dry,  I painted her hair Black. I then painted the wood parts of her staff with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and the wrappings in the middle with Folk Art “Barn Wood”. I also used the “Barn Wood” to paint the scroll rolled up and strapped to her rear pouch.  I painted the scabbard with Apple Barrel “Apple Blue Spruce”.

   I then drybrushed her hair with Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue”. I painted her eyes, with Black sockets, White whites and Black pupils.  I also added fine Black lines for eyebrows, then went back and added in eyeshadow with some Americana “Leaf Green”.  I then took the “Elf Flesh” and did highlights on all her skin.  I then added a little White to the “Elf Flesh” and did some finer highlights. I realized at this point that I had painted the top of staff wrong (I hadn’t realized the very top was wood, I had thought it was metal), and went back and painted the top portion with the “Mississippi Mud”.  I then painted the crystal in the staff with the “Leaf Green”.  The blade of the sword I did with Folk Art “Metallic Emerald Green”.   All the buckles, buttons, hair jewelry, sword hilt and the scabbard and staff fittings I painted with Ceramcoat “Metallic Copper”.

     I gave the staff, scabbard, and the sword hilt a wash with some GW “Agrax Earthshade” using a wet brush.  I also took a little bit of this and did a light wash on the runes running down the sword blade.  I highlighted the scabbard belt, pouches, and shoe with the “Rock Grey”.  When the washes I did earlier were dry, I highlighted the staff wraps with the base “Barn Wood”, then mixed a little of the “Barn Wood” into the “Mississippi Mud”, and did highlights on the wood parts of the staff.  I painted shadows on the crystal with Americana “Forest Green” and Accent “Forest Green”, and then did highlights with some White and some of the “Leaf Green” with a little White mixed in.  I then drybrushed the sword blade with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”, and added highlights to the copper parts with the base “Metallic Copper”.  Lastly, I painted the base of the figure with Ceramcoat “Walnut”.
    I let the figure sit all day, and that evening I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  The next morning I flocked the base, and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.  After the Dullcote had overnight to dry, I went back and painted the crystal part with Americana “DuraClear Gloss Varnish”.

     For an off the cuff paint scheme, I think it turned out pretty good.  She turned out a little darker looking in tone than I usually like for Elves, but I suppose she could be an Elf gone bad…or maybe wearing  a more autumnal or winter outfit.

Figure 154 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1cWnGzL
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1Hsf0Jq
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: