I also completed the Bones II Prairie Tick Queen figure this week, from the Savage Worlds Set. I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
I began by painting the base of the figure with Americana “Asphaltum”, I then drybrushed the base with Americana “Mississippi Mud” , and then with Americana “Khaki Tan”.
Next, I painted the body of the tick with Folk Art “Dark Brown”, and then added red trim with Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”.
When those colors had dried, I gave the creature a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash, using a wet brush; and being very careful to try not to get any on the already painted base.
When the wash had dried, I added highlights to the body with Crafters Edition “Spice Brown”, and I highlighted the red trim with the base “Deep Tomato Red”. I then painted the eyes of the tick with Black. Lastly, I painted the bones sculpted onto the base with Americana Buttermilk", and then added some White highlights to them.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. The next morning I flocked the edges of the base, carefully adding a bit here and there between some of the legs. Later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m very pleased with how this simple little figure turned out. And he probably can be used in multiple genres from Fantasy to Pulp to Sci-Fi