Mushroom King and Mushroom Men: Bones II Figures

Chris Palmer

     This week I also finished up the Mushroom King and Mushroom Men from the Bones II Expansion Set I.  I decided to paint them all at one time, since they all were getting the exact same paint scheme.
      I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued the figures to black-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue; 1.5" for the King, 1.25" for the middle-sized mushroom, and 1" for the smallest.   When the glue was dry, I glued the figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops each of the Elmer’s glue.

     I began by painting the entire bodies of the figures with plain White. Next, I painted the caps with GW “Blood Red”. I then painted the small shelf fungus growing down their sides with Apple Barrel “Apple Parchment”.

       I then went back to the White, and painted the small dots on their caps.  On the King, I painted his staff with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.  I also painted the stems of the mushrooms growing on his head, and the ones growing on his staff, with Americana “Buttermilk”.  I painted the caps of the mushrooms growing on the King’s head with Apple Barrel “Yellow”.  The more granular growth growing on his cap I painted with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”.  I then painted some of the mushroom caps on his staff with Accent “Mustard Seed”, and others with Americana “Tangerine”.  I painted the small cluster mushrooms on the staff with Americana “Reindeer Moss Green”.

     After the paint had time to dry, I gave all the figures a head to toe wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.

    When the wash was dry, I went back and  carefully drybrushed the bodies of the mushrooms, avoiding as best I could the red caps, and the shelf fungus on their backs. I then took a regular brush and did further highlights where needed, and highlighted the white dots on the caps.  I followed this with highlighting the caps themselves with the base “Blood Red”.   I then used all the base colors I had used on the smaller mushroom caps to highlight them on the King’s head and staff.  Next, I mixed a little of the “Yellow” and “Burnt Sienna” and used this mix to lightly drybrush the granular growth on the King’s cap.  At this point I also realized that one of the things on the King’s cap was a snail shell (I think!), so I painted it with Americana “Zinc” and then drybrushed it with Duncan “Slate Grey”.
    Continuing,  I did highlights on the staff itself with the base “Mississippi Mud”, and the shelf mushrooms on their backs with the base “Apple Parchment”.  I finished off with adding tiny dots, using Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue”, to the mushrooms I had painted with the “Mustard Seed” on the Kings staff ; and then lastly, giving  each mushroom a set of beady Black eyes. I painted the figures’ white integral bases with Ceramcoat “Walnut”
      I let the figures sit all day, and that evening I gave them a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  The next morning  I flocked the bases, and that afternoon I gave the figures a coat of Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.

     I’m very pleased with how these little fellows turned out.  They certainly are something completely different! 🙂

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1HVaRl1
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1Jclejb
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: