This week I finished up Gauntfield the giant scarecrow figure from the Bones II Core Set. I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1.5" black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue. The washer was big enough to hold in my hand that I didn’t feel I needed to glue it to a tongue depressor to make handling any easier.
I began by painting the entire figure Black.
After the Black basecoat had dried, I began by heavily drybrushing all the figure’s visible bones with Americana “Buttermilk”, trying as best I could to keep it off his coat which I planned to leave black. I then went back over the bones and gave them a lighter White drybrushing, I then went back and carefully touched up anywhere the “Buttermilk” or White had gotten on the coat. Now I brybrushed the coat using Duncan “Slate Blue”, trying to be careful not to get any on the bones. I had to hand paint the “Slate Blue” highlights, rather than drybrush them, when they were right next to any exposed bones. I finished up by touching up any areas of bone that had accidentally gotten the “Slate Blue” on it.
I next painted his shirt with Folk Art “Tomato Red”, and his pants with Americana “Asphaltum”. His head I painted with Americana “Dove Grey”, and his straw hair with Folk Art “Golden Harvest”.
I realized at this point that I had forgotten to paint the bones in his sack, so I painted those at this point using the “Buttermilk” and White. I then painted the sack with Americana “Butter Pecan”. I painted his hat with GW “Khemri Brown”, and the handle of his scythe with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. His left boot I painted with Accent “Real Umber”, and his right boot with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”. I painted the rock between his feet with Folk Art “Medium grey”
At his point I painted his teeth White. Then, after everything had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” using a wet brush.
Once the wash was good and dry, I began working on highlights. I first did highlights on his head with the base “Dove Grey” then I painted his eyes with Americana “Olive Green”. I then used the “Olive Green” to add some light highlights to his eyebrows, cheeks, and upper lip to give the impression of a green glow. Next, I did highlights on his hair with Americana “Moon Yellow”.
I realized I hadn’t painted his neck cord, or hat band, so I painted those in with Americana “Khaki Tan”. I then highlighted the hat with the base “Khemri Brown”. I did highlights on his shirt, pants, and boots with the base colors as well. I did highlights on his sack with the base “Butter Pecan”, and then painted the stitching on the side with Accent “Mustard Seed”. The scythe handle was highlighted with the base “Mississippi Mud”. I finished up by painting the scythe blade with Accent “Princely Pewter”, then going along the edges with Folk Art “Silver Sterling” to add highlights.
I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the base, using some plain green flock mixed with some of the tiny roof grit and leaf debris that had gathered in the splash guard at the base of our house’s downspouts. The next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.
I’m really pleased with how this fellow turned out. Particularly the glowing eyes, which I usually find hard to do .