This week I also finished up the Mushroom King and Mushroom Men from the Bones II Expansion Set I. I decided to paint them all at one time, since they all were getting the exact same paint scheme.
I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. I then glued the figures to black-primed fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue; 1.5" for the King, 1.25" for the middle-sized mushroom, and 1" for the smallest. When the glue was dry, I glued the figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops each of the Elmer’s glue.
I began by painting the entire bodies of the figures with plain White. Next, I painted the caps with GW “Blood Red”. I then painted the small shelf fungus growing down their sides with Apple Barrel “Apple Parchment”.
I then went back to the White, and painted the small dots on their caps. On the King, I painted his staff with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. I also painted the stems of the mushrooms growing on his head, and the ones growing on his staff, with Americana “Buttermilk”. I painted the caps of the mushrooms growing on the King’s head with Apple Barrel “Yellow”. The more granular growth growing on his cap I painted with Apple Barrel “Burnt Sienna”. I then painted some of the mushroom caps on his staff with Accent “Mustard Seed”, and others with Americana “Tangerine”. I painted the small cluster mushrooms on the staff with Americana “Reindeer Moss Green”.
After the paint had time to dry, I gave all the figures a head to toe wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.
When the wash was dry, I went back and carefully drybrushed the bodies of the mushrooms, avoiding as best I could the red caps, and the shelf fungus on their backs. I then took a regular brush and did further highlights where needed, and highlighted the white dots on the caps. I followed this with highlighting the caps themselves with the base “Blood Red”. I then used all the base colors I had used on the smaller mushroom caps to highlight them on the King’s head and staff. Next, I mixed a little of the “Yellow” and “Burnt Sienna” and used this mix to lightly drybrush the granular growth on the King’s cap. At this point I also realized that one of the things on the King’s cap was a snail shell (I think!), so I painted it with Americana “Zinc” and then drybrushed it with Duncan “Slate Grey”.
Continuing, I did highlights on the staff itself with the base “Mississippi Mud”, and the shelf mushrooms on their backs with the base “Apple Parchment”. I finished off with adding tiny dots, using Apple Barrel “Apple Scotch Blue”, to the mushrooms I had painted with the “Mustard Seed” on the Kings staff ; and then lastly, giving each mushroom a set of beady Black eyes. I painted the figures’ white integral bases with Ceramcoat “Walnut”
I let the figures sit all day, and that evening I gave them a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. The next morning I flocked the bases, and that afternoon I gave the figures a coat of Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.
I’m very pleased with how these little fellows turned out. They certainly are something completely different! 🙂