I continued to work on the translucent Blue set from Bones II this past week, doing the big crystal outcropping. My plan was to do this just like the Ice Golem from last week.
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1.5” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue. The washer was big enough to hold, comfortably, so I didn’t glue it to a tongue depressor like I usually do.
I began by giving the crystals a heavy wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Blue” ink with a pin point of dish soap added to help it flow into the crevices. I used a brush I had dipped in water, to help thin the ink slightly. Then, when the ink was good and dry, I drybrushed the figure lightly with Americana “Salem Blue”, and then went over that with a drybrushing of plain white.
Lastly, I painted the base white; then after everything had had time to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Cermacoat “Matte Varnish”. When this was good and dry, I gave the base a coat of Elmer’s white glue and flocked it with Woodland Scenics “Snow” Flock. I didn’t spray with the usual Testor’s “Dullcoat”, as I liked the slight sheen left over from the Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” (Which is not 100% Matte.)
I think it turned out pretty good. I’m thinking it might be neat if this turned into the Golem as some unsuspecting adventurer is passing by. 🙂