Daily Archives: March 2, 2015

Final Prep for Cold Wars Complete

Don
This weekend I finished working on Saga figures and terrain for Jim’s Cold Wars game.  The figures are from several different manufacturers.  The fenced in enclosure is made from wattle fences by Renedra.

A warlord and some warriors



Another Warlord and some villagers,
Some more Renedra Wattle fences mounted on 3/4” wide bass board and some haystacks

I also managed to finish some Old Glory FIW figures for use with Muskets and Tomahawks.  Hopefully they will see some game action soon.

American FIW militia

American FIW settlers

from Wargaming Notes http://ift.tt/1ASgJsq
via IFTTT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1FPNAxC
via IFTTT

Bailey Silverbell, Female Dwarf: Figure 139 of 265

Chris Palmer

     This week I did another figure from the Dwarves Set: Bailey Silverbell.  In looking at this figure, I felt she looked like she had the hooded cloak, and lighter armor, of some sort of a thief class character. I was also feeling like I wanted to do something more colorful after last week’s all gray exercise; so I formed in my mind an image of a Dwarf heroine dressed all in red.  Kind of like a Crimson Avenger type of thing. 🙂   As soon as I hit on this idea, it also dawned on me that there was something rather Little-Red-Riding-Hood-esque about the figure, so I felt even more confident in my painting plan.
      I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
     I began painting by giving her a wash with thinned black ink with a tiny pin-point drop of dishsoap added to help it flow into the crevices and help show the sculpting outlines.

     After the ink was good and dry, I painted her outfit with Folk Art “Burgundy”. I then painted her cloak with Americana “Cranberry Wine”, and her armor with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”.

     Next, I painted her leggings, gloves, and belts with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”. Her boots I painted Folk Art “Barn Red”, and her crossbow I painted GW “Vermin Brown”.

     I then painted her face with Americana “Shading Flesh”, and her hair with Americana “Burnt Orange”.  The grip of her sword I painted with Accent “Real Umber”.   I then moved to the metals; painting the sword blade, and the crossbow fittings, with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter; and her sword hilt, and buckle, with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.

   Then, after everything had had plenty of time to dry, I gave the whole figure a wash with Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown” ink.

     After the ink had dried thoroughly, I went about adding the highlights. First, I painted her eyes; doing black sockets, then the whites, then black pupils.  I then did highlights on her face, first with the base “Shading Flesh”, then I mixed in some Apple Barrel”Apple Flesh” to do some lighter highlights.  I then mixed some “Shading Flesh” with some of the “Burgundy, and painted her lips. I added a little white, and did lip highlights.  I used the base “Burnt Orange” to highlight her hair, and then a bit of the “Raw Sienna” to do lighter hair highlights.
     Next I used the base “Burgundy to highlight her outfit, then mixed some white in do do lighter highlights.  I then used the “Burgundy” to highlight the cloak. I used the base Raw Sienna to highlight her leggings, belts, and gloves; and the base “Burnt Sienna” to highlight her armor.   I did highlights on her boots with the base “Barnyard Red”.
      I now worked on finishing up the metals, first highlighting the parts I had painted “Bronze” with Cermacoat “14K Gold”; and then doing  highlights on the sword blade and metal crossbow parts with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”. Lastly, I painted her white integral base with the Americana “Mississippi Mud”.
     I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  Later that afternoon I flocked the base.   The next day I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote. 

     I really like how this figure came out.  I think the color choice makes what is an ordinary figure look a little more special.

Figure 139 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1Dwi6Ky
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1B28usu
via IFTTT

%d bloggers like this: