Svetlana, Frost Giant Princess: Figure 133 of 265

Chris Palmer

     Hooray, and welcome to the half-way point painting celebration! 🙂  This week I completed figure 133, Svetlana the Frost Giant Princess from the Ice Giant King and Queen optional purchase set, which both puts me both at and over the half way mark in my 265 Bones figure painting journey.  It’s all down hill from here!  I thought I’d try my hand at one of these larger figures as a way to mark this special occasion.
    I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking both the parts (body and hand) in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying.  I then used Gorilla Super Glue gel to glue the hand holding the weapon to the arm socket; and when dry, glued the body to 2” black primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue. The washer was large enough that I didn’t feel it was necessary to take my usual step of gluing the washer to a tongue depressor for ease of handling.
       I then spent some time Googling Eskimo costumes to get some inspiration for painting this figure.

   I began by painting her skin with GW “Vermin Brown”.  I then painted her pants Folk Art “Poppy Seed”, and then painted her top, waist furs, wrist wrappings, boot fur trim, and face mask with Americana “Dove Grey”.

Next, I painted her fur cape with Americana “Mississippi Mud”.  Then I painted all the bone looking splints she has on her outfit, the skulls she is holding, her tooth necklace, and the jaws on the back end of her weapon, with Americana “Buttermilk”. Her lower boots I painted Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”, and the sole of the raised left foot I painted Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”.

 I now painted the various belts and straps on her outfit, and the ones wrapped around the skulls with Folk Art “Medium Grey”. Then I painted the bottom third of her mask with  Folk Art “Barnyard Red”, and the top third Folk Art “Settlers Blue”. This pattern was based on an Eskimo mask I had seen while Googling Eskimo costumes. I also used the “Settlers Blue” to paint some of the decorations on her outfit.

   I worked now on finishing her weapon. I painted the blade with Folk Art “Porcelain White”, and the shaft with Americana “Sable Brown”.  I finished up with painting all the strapping on the weapon with Ceramcoat “Walnut”. I then used some Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter” to paint the rivets on the shaft, and the two bump-like protrusions on the mask by the mouth.

     After everything had had time to dry, I then gave the entire figure a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

    I now worked on the hair, first painting it black, and then drybrushing it with the “Settlers Blue”. I then mixed in a little Anita’s “Baby Blue” with the “Settlers Blue” to do some lighter highlights.  Next, I used the base “Mississippi Mud” to do drybrushed highlights to the cape.  I then mixed in some Americana “Khaki Tan” to the “Mississippi Mud” to do even lighter highlights. I mixed some white with the “Poppy Seed’ and added some highlights to her pants.  For her skin, I added some Apple Barrel “Apple Flesh” to the “Vermin Brown” to paint on highlights.
      I now did highlighting on all the bones and teeth with some white mixed with the base “Buttermilk”, and then a bit of just plain white. I also used the plain white to drybrush highlights on to all the white-ish fur clothing and trim.  I drybrushed the weapon’s blade with the base “Porcelain White”.  I added some highlights to the blue areas with the base “settlers Blue, and to the red part of the mask with the base “Barnyard Red.”   Lastly, I added in the eye; first painting the mask’s eye holes black, and then adding in smaller whites and then black pupils.
    I painted the washer and any unpainted parts of the figure’s integral base all white. I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  Later that afternoon I flocked the base, using Woodland Scenics snow flocking, and added some dry grasses with a bit of unraveled twine and a bit of twig.  The next day I gave her a coat of Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.

  I’m really pleased with how she turned out.   I like how all the natural tones work together. I have included a picture of her below with the Elf wizard I completed last week to give a sense of her size.

Figure 133 of 265: Complete.  On to the second half!

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1CtHj9g
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1J3FWQU
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: