This week I completed another figure from the Elves set; Aviriel Tellerion, Female Elf; as I embark on the second half of my Bones Kickstarter figures. Two more elves to go after this one. Then I will either work on the Dwarves, or take a break from Fantasy for a while and work on some of the Sci-Fi figures.
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue. In thinking about how to paint this figure, I decided I would go for the traditional green-clothed elf look.
I began painting by giving her a wash with thinned black ink with a tiny pin-point drop of dish-soap added to help it flow into the crevices and help show the sculpting outlines. I then painted all her armor black, and then drybrushed it with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”
Next, I painted her pants Americana “Leaf Green”, and her sleeves Americana “Olive Green”. I painted the shield and scabbard Americana “Forest Green”, and the pair of hangings running down her back with Folk Heart “Hunter Green.”
I then painted her boots with Accent “Mustard Seed”. I decided to give her gloves, and painted them this color as well. I painted the inside of her shield with GW “Vermin Brown”, and the handle straps on it, as well as her belts, with DecoArt “Cinnamon Brown”. The face I painted with GW “Elf Flesh”, and her hair with Crafters Edition “Spice Brown”. I painted the trim on her back hangings with Apple Barrel “Yellow”, I also used the “Yellow’ to paint some runic symbols running down the hangings.
At this step, I gave all the brown-ish parts (including her face) a wash with Winsor-Newton “Peat Brwon” Ink. I then worked on the metallics, painting her shield decoration, the wings on her breast plate, her scabbard trim, and the sword hilt with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. I used the “Metallic Pewter” to paint the sword.
I now went back ,and added highlight with Ceramcoat “14K Gold” to all the parts I had painted with the “Bronze”. I then used Folk Art “Silver Sterling” to add highlights to the armor and sword.
I mixed a little of the “Olive Green” to the “Leaf Green’ and added highlights to the pants and the shield edges. I used the base “Mustard Seed” to add highlights to the boots and gloves. Next, I used Americana “Sable Brown” to add highlights to the hair, I then mixed a little Americana “Khaki Tan” into the “Sable Brown”, and added a further level of hair highlights. I then painted the eyes, first doing the sockets black, then adding whites and then black pupils. I highlighted the face with the base “Elf Flesh”, then added a little white to add an extra highlight to the bridge of the nose. Lastly, I painted the white integral base with the “Cinnamon Brown”.
I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the base. The weather hasn’t been good for spraying, so I wasn’t able to apply the usual Testor’s Dullcote before posting this entry; so you will notice a little extra sheen on the figure.
I’m pleased with how the figure turned out. I’m not a big fan of the sculpt, and I think the nice simple paint scheme did it justice.
Figure 134 of 265: Complete
via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/15L7Hlh
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1JOM2oF