This week I painted the last of the Pathfinder Goblins “We Be Goblins” set: the Warchanter. I have put a group photo of the gang down at the end of this post. I will now be moving on to the Elves, and am also preparing a large figure for the upcoming halfway completion mark celebration, which I’ll mark with Figure 133, (since Figure 132 would still be .5 short of halfway). So, now on to the figure…
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying. I then glued it to 7/8” fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple small dabs of Elmer’s white glue, for ease of handling during painting.
To begin with, I painted the skin with Anita’s “Baby Blue”. When this was dry, I gave the skin areas a wash with thinned Iron Wind Metals “Blue Ink”. (I forgot to take a photo before I started to paint the cloths, so excuse the color on her shirt!)
When the ink wash was completely dry, I began painting the Goblin’s outfit. I started with painting her tunic with GW “Graveyard Earth”. Then I painted her skirt with Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”. Next, I did her “armor” plates with Accent “Mustard Seed”. Her leggings I painted Ceramcoat “Mocha”, and the legging hangings I painted Folk Art “Burgundy”.
Now I worked on some of the detail bits. First, I painted the hair on the Goblin with Folk Art “Medium Gray”. I painted her teeth Americana “Buttermilk”, and the skull and tusks(?) on her skirt, and the bones(?) in her hair, as well. I painted her tongue with Americana “Wedgwood Blue”. Next, I painted the cord around her skirt and neck with Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”. Finally, I painted the whip with Crafters Edition “Spice Brown”, and the sword and whip grips with Americana “Asphaltum”.
Next step was the metallics. I painted the sword, and the balls on the whip’s end, with Ceramcoat ”Metallic Pewter”. I then painted the ball on the whip handle, hook on the sword hilt, her bracelets, and the chest decoration, with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”.
When everything had had time to dry, I went back and carefully applied GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash to all the parts that weren’t blue skin. I was as careful as I could be not to let it run onto the blue skin, except I applied small amounts to the eye sockets and mouth.
After the wash had had time to dry, I went back and added highlights. I began by drybrushing her hair with white paint. Then I highlighted the skin with the original “Baby Blue”. This allowed me to cover any mistakes where wash, or the drybrushed white had gotten onto the blue. Next, I added eyes with the “Buttermilk”, and then added black pupils. I also used the “Buttermilk” to highlight the teeth and bones. I highlighted the tongue with a mix of the “Wedgwood” and the “Baby Blue”. I painted the hair ties with the “Burgundy”. I then used the original clothing/armor colors to add highlights to all she were wearing. Lastly, I highlighted the blade of the and sword , and balls on the whip, with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”. My final step was to paint the figure’s base and washer with white.
I let the Goblins sit overnight, and the next morning I gave them a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked their bases, using Woodland Scenics snow flocking. With all the Christmas prep going on around here at home, I only just finished it yesterday, so wasn’t able to give it it’s final Testor’s Dullcote spray yet. You’ll notice it’s a little shiny in the final photo below, my apologies for that.
I like how she turned out. And, all together they make a nice little horde.
Figure 131: Complete
And let me take this opportunity to say, “Merry Christmas!” to everyone out there in blog land. 🙂
|Here’s the whole gang; as they’ll look in a couple days caroling by torchlight on a snowy Christmas Eve! 🙂|