Daily Archives: December 15, 2014

Finny’s Fish Flingers: Penguin Christmas Wars Unit

Chris Palmer While in a local Game Store a few weeks ago I spotted this game, called “Hey, That’s My Fish!”, set up on the demo table. I was immediately taken with the neat plastic penguin figures included with it, and thought how well sized they looked to go with 25mm figures. The game comes with 16 plastic penguins.  I bought a copy, and started pondering how to use them in my Christmas Wars collection, and came up with the idea, based on the poses, to create a unit of fish-hurling penguins.  Thus, Finny’s Fish Flingers was born.

  I set about putting a unit together.  First, I modified two of them, one to hold a sword to represent the commander, and one to hold a flag staff made from a paper clip to be the standard bearer.  I glued the figures to 1” fender washers, and sprayed them with flat black spray-paint.  Using the picture on the game box cover as a guide, I painted up a unit of 10 for use in my Christmas-themed GASLIGHT games. And here’s the results:

  I hope to use these in a game this New Year’s Eve at the annual HAWKS holiday get-together.

via One More Gaming Project http://ift.tt/1zp42TM
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1zhBaOc
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Pathfinder Goblin Warriors: Figures 129 & 130 of 265

Chris Palmer

    This week I painted two more on the We Be Goblins! Pathfinder Goblins Set.  I prepped them in the usual way; soaking in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying.  I then glued them to 7/8” fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple small dabs of Elmer’s white glue, for ease of handling during painting.
     

     To begin with, I painted their skin with Anita’s “Baby Blue”.  When this was dry, I gave the skin areas a wash with thinned Iron Wind Metals “Blue Ink”.

 When the ink wash was completely dry, I began painting the Goblins’ outfits.  I started with painting their tunics with DecoArt “Cinnamon Brown”. Then I painted their loin “hangings/skirts” with Folk Art “Barnyard Red”.  Next, I did their “armor” plates, and the Archer’s quiver, with Accent “Mustard Seed”.  Their leggings I painted Folk Art ”Butter Pecan”, and their wrist wraps I painted Citadel Foundation ”Dheneb Stone”. 
     Now I worked on some of the detail bits. First, I painted the hat on the left-hand Goblin with Folk Art “Golden Harvest”. I painted their teeth Americana “Buttermilk”, and the assorted teeth  hanging around their necks I painted with the “Buttermilk” as well.  I also used the Buttermilk” to paint the skull on the Archer Goblin.  I painted the Archer’s tongue with Americana “Wedgwood Blue”.  Next, I painted the cords on the “armor” plates and hat, the quiver strap, and the necklace cords with Ceramcoat “Maple Sugar Tan”.  I painted the feathers on the left-hand Goblin’s hat with Folk Art “Burgundy” as well as the fletchings on the Archer’s arrows, and the pouches they both have on their rear belts with Anita’s “Burnt Sienna”.  I painted the bow and the arrow shafts with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, the tips of the bow with Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and the sword grip with Americana “Asphaltum”. Lastly, I painted the rock the left-hand Goblin has his foot on with Folk Art “Medium Grey”

I now painted the sword with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.   I then painted the ball on the sword hilt with Folk Art “Metallic Blue Sapphire”.  When everything had had time to dry, I went back and carefully applied GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash to all the parts that weren’t blue skin.  I was as careful as I could be not to let it run onto the blue skin, except I applied small amounts to their eye sockets and mouths.

After the wash had had time to dry, I went back and added highlights.  I began by  highlighting the skin with the original “Baby Blue”.  This allowed me to cover any mistakes where the wash had gotten onto the blue. Next, I added eyes with the “Buttermilk”, and then added black pupils. I also used the “Buttermilk” to highlight the teeth and bones.  I highlighted the tongue with  a mix of the “Wedgwood” and the “Baby Blue”.  I then used the original clothing/armor colors to add highlights to all they were wearing.  Lastly, I highlighted the blade of the sword with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.   My final step was to paint the figures’ bases and washers with white.
      I let the Goblins sit overnight, and the next morning I gave them a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  Later that afternoon I flocked their bases, using Woodland Scenics snow flocking.  The next day I gave them a coat of Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish. 

   Another two fine looking Goblins. Jut the one girl Goblin yet to go.

Figures 129 & 130: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/12XOv1y
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1BQo1hz
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: