Shaeress, Dark Elf Queen: Figure 125 of 265

Chris Palmer

     This week I took a break from painting Goblins, and instead worked on Shaeress, the Dark Elf Queen, from the BBEG set.  I hadn’t looked up this figure in Reaper’s webstore before I painted it, (I feel seeing painted examples of a figure before I myself paint it, has the potential to sway my own ideas on color scheme.)  so I didn’t know she was a Dark Elf. If I had, I might have chosen a different color scheme, and gone for a more Drow look to her skin and features.  As it was, I wasn’t sure what I was dealing with when I first studied this figure.  She seemed to be in finery that was torn and tattered (The best I could guess from the sculpting. This is another one of those figures that I sometimes had no idea what I was looking at on the figure.) So, I imagine that she was some sort of Elf princess that had fallen under a dark influence (So I wasn’t too far off).  Now, I find my go-to palette when painting Bad Guys, is more often than not, red and/or black.  So, with this figure I decided I wanted to do something different, so I thought I would go for a kind of sickly, swampy, green look.  This color scheme would also fit into my mental idea that she was some sort of fallen elf.
     I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.   I began painting by giving her a wash with thinned black ink with a tiny pin-point drop of dishsoap added to help it flow into the crevices and help show the sculpting outlines.

     I then painted her skin with Folk Art “Milkshake”. Next I panted her stockings and sleeves with Americana “Olive Green”, and her skirts(?) with Accent “Forest Green”.

  My next step was to paint her armor, hair-ornament, and shoes with GW “Brazen Brass.  There were two straps on her left wrist that I painted Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”.  I let all this dry, and then gave the entire figure a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

   After the wash had time to dry, I came back and painted her hair black.  When the hair was dry, I gave it a light drybrushing with Duncan “Slate Blue” to add highlights.  I then added eyes (white with black pupils), and lips with Folk Art “Burgundy”. I then highlighted the skin with the base “Milkshake”. Next, I highlighted the sleeves and stockings with the base “Olive Green”, and the skirts and wrist straps with Americana “Forest Green” (A slightly lighter shade than the original Accent “Forest Green” I had used.).  Finishing up, I added highlights to the armor with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. Lastly, I painted the white areas of the figure’s integral base with Americana “Asphaltum” to hide the white Bones material before flocking.
      I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.

    I’m generally pleased with the figure.  I didn’t particularly love this figure (I found trying to figure out the details of her outfit frustrating) so I just did a quick and simple paint job on it.

Figure 125 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1C4VNk9
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1pf2tq3
via IFTTT

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: