This week I took a break from painting Goblins, and instead worked on Shaeress, the Dark Elf Queen, from the BBEG set. I hadn’t looked up this figure in Reaper’s webstore before I painted it, (I feel seeing painted examples of a figure before I myself paint it, has the potential to sway my own ideas on color scheme.) so I didn’t know she was a Dark Elf. If I had, I might have chosen a different color scheme, and gone for a more Drow look to her skin and features. As it was, I wasn’t sure what I was dealing with when I first studied this figure. She seemed to be in finery that was torn and tattered (The best I could guess from the sculpting. This is another one of those figures that I sometimes had no idea what I was looking at on the figure.) So, I imagine that she was some sort of Elf princess that had fallen under a dark influence (So I wasn’t too far off). Now, I find my go-to palette when painting Bad Guys, is more often than not, red and/or black. So, with this figure I decided I wanted to do something different, so I thought I would go for a kind of sickly, swampy, green look. This color scheme would also fit into my mental idea that she was some sort of fallen elf.
I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue. I began painting by giving her a wash with thinned black ink with a tiny pin-point drop of dishsoap added to help it flow into the crevices and help show the sculpting outlines.
I then painted her skin with Folk Art “Milkshake”. Next I panted her stockings and sleeves with Americana “Olive Green”, and her skirts(?) with Accent “Forest Green”.
My next step was to paint her armor, hair-ornament, and shoes with GW “Brazen Brass. There were two straps on her left wrist that I painted Apple Barrel “Apple Black Green”. I let all this dry, and then gave the entire figure a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash.
After the wash had time to dry, I came back and painted her hair black. When the hair was dry, I gave it a light drybrushing with Duncan “Slate Blue” to add highlights. I then added eyes (white with black pupils), and lips with Folk Art “Burgundy”. I then highlighted the skin with the base “Milkshake”. Next, I highlighted the sleeves and stockings with the base “Olive Green”, and the skirts and wrist straps with Americana “Forest Green” (A slightly lighter shade than the original Accent “Forest Green” I had used.). Finishing up, I added highlights to the armor with Ceramcoat “Bronze”. Lastly, I painted the white areas of the figure’s integral base with Americana “Asphaltum” to hide the white Bones material before flocking.
I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.
I’m generally pleased with the figure. I didn’t particularly love this figure (I found trying to figure out the details of her outfit frustrating) so I just did a quick and simple paint job on it.
Figure 125 of 265: Complete
via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1C4VNk9
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1pf2tq3