Kavorgh, Orc Warboss: Figure 120 of 265

Chris Palmer

This week I painted Kavorgh, Orc Warboss from the BBEG set.  I had done a number of Bones Orcs before from the 30 New Bones set, so I had a pretty good plan for how I was going to go about painting this guy.

      I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1.25” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
     I then painted him all black.   When the black was dry, I went back over the figure and drybrushed all the metal parts, except the ax, with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.

I then repainted black any areas of the fur garments that had gotten the “Metallic Pewter” on them, and then drybrushed the upper fur garments with Folk Art “Medium Grey”. I and then painted the lower garment with Americana “Asphaltum”, and when dry, drybrushed it with Americana “Khaki Tan”.

     Next, I realized I had forgotten to drybrush the metal bits on the front of his shield, so I went back and drybrushed it with the “Metallic Pewter”.  Then, I painted all his skin with  Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”.  I followed this with painting his undershirt Folk Art “Deep Tomato Red”.  I then used a variety of my browns, red-browns, and mustard-browns to paint his many haphazard garments and straps. His main shirt, with the metal plates sewn on it, I painted with the “Asphaltum”, and the big wide belt he wears, as well as the back of the shield, I painted with the Americana “Charcoal Grey”.   I painted the border around the shield with Folk Art “True Burgundy”.  The ax handle I painted Americana “Mississippi Mud”.

I then painted all the hands tacked on his shield using a variety of flesh tones. The bone and one of the paper or cloth scraps I painted with Americana “Buttermilk. While I had this out, I also painted his teeth with it.  I finished up by painting the hair and other fragments nailed on the shield.   When everything was dry, I gave the whole figure a wash with thinned GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash.

     After the wash had a good long time to dry, I went back and added in his eyes using the “Buttermilk” with black pupils added.  I then highlighted his skin with the original “Deep Khaki”, and then mixed a little lighter Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki” into it to add some lighter skin highlights.  I highlighter his garments with their original colors, and the same with the shield and the stuff nailed to it.  The bone on the shield I used some white to highlight.  Lastly, I used the “Metallic Pewter” to paint the metal parts of the ax.  I then went back and highlighted the edges of the ax head with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”.
       I let the figure sit overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.

     I’m pleased with how this fellow came out.  He will be a nice commander for to my Bones orc horde.

     I played another pair of “Song of Blades and Heroes” games using my Bones figures this past weekend; so I hope to have the battle reports posted on Thursday. So tune in then!

Figure 120 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1xvDdLt
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1pQkjKU
via IFTTT

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: