This past week I completed Bonnie from the Zombie Hunters Set. This finishes that set, and it joins the list of completed sets over on the right.
I began my preparation of this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
|Note: The red splash on her arm is just a sloppy drip from something else I was painting!|
I began the painting process by giving the whole figure a wash with very thinned black ink with just a pin head drop of dish soap in it. This ink wash settles and dries into all the crevices and creases in the figure, and helps me to see all the sculpted detail, so I can keep my paint in the lines. 🙂
When the ink wash was good and dry, I painted her skin with Americana “Mocha”, then I painted her shorts with Aleene’s “Deep Khaki”, and her shirt with Americana “Khaki Tan”. Lastly, I painted her socks with Aleene’s ”Dusty Khaki”.
Then, I painted her boots, and belts with Ceramcoat “Walnut”, and the stocks of the two guns on her back with Americana “Charcoal Grey”. Her hair I painted Accent “Real Umber”. The wraps on her wirsts I painted with GW “Camo Green”
At this point I gave the whole figure a wash with thinned Winsor-Newton “Peat Brown’ ink.
When the ink was dry, I painted the guns in her hands, and the two in her shoulder holsters, black. I then painted her face, starting with her eyes; first with black sockets, then white “whites” ,and then black pupils. Her lips I painted with Americana “Shading Flesh”. I then highlighted all her skin with the base “Mocha”. I now went back and did a light dry brush of the black guns with GW “Shadow Grey”. Next, I gave all her clothing highlights with the base colors I had used. Lastly, I painted her belt buckle and the butts of the two guns on her back with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.
I let the figure sit over night, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. Later that afternoon I flocked the base, and the following day I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote” spray varnish.
Well, I’m not terribly happy with this figure. I love the dynamic sculpt, but my color selection really made her look washed out. I don’t think the skin tone goes with the green oriented color scheme of her outfit at all. The sculpting on her face also was odd. As with many of the Bones figures, the nose was not fully cast. And her eyes were deeply slanted which, given my lack of painting skills, just turned out making the face look odd rather than mad or determined.
Figure 114 of 265: Complete