Daily Archives: August 29, 2014

Dollar Tree “Tombstone Corner” Gargoyles Painted

Chris Palmer    I had time this week to paint the Gargoyles I recently purchased from the Dollar Tree’s new line of Halloween scenery. See my post here for more details.   I bought two sets, one to use for 28mm gaming, and one to use with my 10mm armies.

For the 28mm ones, I mounted them individually on washers, and painted them in a stone-like paint scheme.

They are shown below with a Reaper Paladin for a sense of scale.

The ones for 10mm, I painted as demons in a red color scheme.

Below they are shown with some 10mm skeletons for a sense of scale.

  Overalll, they are not too bad.  The sculpting is a little rough, but hey, they were only a $1 so I can’t complain.  The other problem is that their facial expressions tend towards the “cute”, which I found hard to disguise with paint.

via One More Gaming Project http://ift.tt/1tSlEo7
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1qKU8c0
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Harpy: Figure 109 of 265

Chris Palmer

     I was able to squeeze in painting the Harpy figure from the 30 New Bones Set this week.  So, I am happy to announce that I have completed painting the  30 New Bones Set!  It will now be listed over on the right in the “Completed Sets” section.
        I had prepped this figure a while back in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  This is another of those figures that  I had sprayed with the Krylon with Fusion Flat Black, back when I was still using spray primer.   I glued him to a 1” black-primed fender washer base with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I let this dry and then glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue

I began by drybrushing the whole figure with Folk Art “Medium Grey”. I then mixed some Folk Art “Milkshake” into some of the “Medium Grey”, and began blending this pinkish-grayish color with the drybrushed areas at her waist and hands. I then switched over to a more primarily “Milkshake” colored blend, with less of the “Medium Grey”, and worked towards her upper chest and head.  By the time I painted her chest and head, I was using pure “Milkshake”.  I then mixed up some more blended “Milkshake and “Medium Grey” and heavily drybrushed her feet and hands with this mixture

  I now painted all her claws and the horns on her wings with Folk Art “Gray Green”.  Then I painted her wrist guard with Ceramcoat “Raw Sienna”, and the ribbon tied around her other arm with Folk Art “Barnyard Red”.  The bracelet on her wrist I painted with Ceramcoat “Bronze”.  When all this had dried, I gave the figure a wash with thinned GW “Agrax Earthshade” Wash.

  When the wash had dried, I went back and added drybrushed highlights with Duncan “Slate Grey” to her wings, hair, legs and tail. I highlighted her horns and claws with the base “Gray Green”, and her skin with the base “Milkshake”.  I also added highlights to her wrist guard, ribbon, and bracelet with those base colors as well.  I painted on nipples with the “Medium Grey” with “Slate Grey” highlights. Lastly, I pained in her eyes with Americana “Buttermilk” with black pupils.
     When everything had dried overnight, I painted the figure with a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”.  I let this dry a few hours and then flocked the base.  The next morning I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote” spray paint.

  I’m pleased with how she came out. I think she looks suitably “monsterish”.  I’m also happy to have finally completed the large thirty figure “30 New Bones” set.  Whew!

Figure 109 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1qKMQ80
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1zQFAsm
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: