Daily Archives: June 2, 2014

Ghostly Summons: Figure 99 of 265

Chris Palmer

   This week I painted the Ghostly Summons translucent figure from the Haunts set.  I’m very excited to be one away from my 100 figure milestone, so be sure to tune in next Monday as I reach that goal.
        I began my preparation of this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1.5” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.

I began by giving the whole figure a wash with GW “Dark Green” Ink, thinned down and with a pin head sized drop of dish soap added.

I then started to work on the flames.  I mixed some white into some Americana “Olive Green” and drybrushed the very bottom where the flames meet the stone base.  I then used the “Olive Green” straight up and dry brushed higher up on the flames.

Then, before that first color had time to completely dry, I switched over to Americana “Leaf Green” and drybrushed even further up onto the flames. Lastly, I switched over to Accent “Forest Green” and drybrushed the flames at the very top where they blend into the feet of the ghosts.

I now painted the summoning stone circle with Folk Art “Medium Gray”. And painted the ghosts’ eyes with Apple Barrel “Yellow”.

When the stone circle was dry, I gave it a wash with thinned black ink to help bring out the runes carved in it.  When the ink was dry I drybrushed the stone, careful not to get any on the flames, with a lighter gray called Duncan “Slate Grey”. I also painted the metal washer base with the “Medium Gray”. I then went back and drybrushed the stone again, lightly with the “Olive Green” to give the impression of reflected light from he flames.
   After everything had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”, and when this had had a day to dry, gave the figure a spray with Testor’s “Dullcote”

   I’m still not a fan of the translucents as they really frustrate my natural tendencies to want to do shading and highlights.  The shading with ink is fine, but highlights just end up looking like opaque patches from some angles.  Nonetheless, I am pleased with how this figure turned out.

Figure 99 of 265: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1wTyFQk
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1rCf4El
via IFTTT

Advertisements
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: