Over the weekend I finished Satheras the Male Warlock figure from the 30 New Bones set. I’ve only got a few more figures to go to complete this big initial offering set from the Kickstarter. I tried initially to straighten his staff, but found it hard to get his staff perfectly straight because of the two sculpted contact points. So, I did the best I could in the limited amount of time I wanted to devote to the job, and told myself that being a grizzled old warlock, he might just have a gnarled and bent old staff.
I began my preparation in the usual way; soaking him in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving him a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I had actually prepped and primed this figure a while back when I still had the good Krylon Camouflage with Fusion Flat Black spray paint, so I didn’t have the tackiness issues I’m getting with the regular Krylon Fusion now. I glued the figure to a 1” black-primed fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and glued the washer to half a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s White Glue.
I began painting by drybrushing the whole figure, except his extended leg, with Folk Art “Medium Gray”, and then adding some lighter drybrushed highlights with GW “Fortress Grey”. I then drybrushed his one boot with GW “Shadow Grey”. Next, I painted his pants leg with Americana “Asphaltum”, and then carefully added some highlights to the pants with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. After this I painted his staff Americana “Charcoal Grey”
I now painted his hands and face with Folk Art “Milkshake”, and followed this with painting the parchment in his hand with Americana “Buttermilk”. Next, I painted the lining of his hood and shoulder garment with Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon”. I also used this color to paint the small bag hanging from his belt, and the strip at the top of his boot. At this stage I painted the small cords holding the bag, and the cords on the amulet on the staff with Accent “Real Umber”. The small patch on his knee I painted with GW “Snakebite Leather”, and the two threads on the patch I painted with Americana “Khaki Tan”.
I now moved to the large stone in his staff. First I painted the whole stone GW “Blood Red”, and then I painted the top facets with the “Apple Maroon”, and the bottom facets with Apple Barrel “Apple Lt. Pink”. I then added highlights with a bit of white paint, and then added a bit of the “Apple Lt. Pink” to the white to do highlights along some of the facet edges. Next, I worked on the metallics, painting the gem fittings, the amulets, his buttons, and his belt buckle with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”. I then went back and added highlights to these with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”, and then went around his shoulder garment and painted the runes on it with the “Silver Sterling” as well.
Lastly, I gave his pants, face, hands, and staff a wash with GW “Devlan Mud” wash with a little water added to dilute it. When this had dried, I went back and added some highlights to his face and hands with the original “Milkshake” color. I also touched up where some of the wash had gotten on the parchment with the original “Buttermilk”; and finally with black paint and a thin brush I added some squiggly lettering to the parchment.
I let the figure sit for a few hours and then I painted the whole figure with Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. The next morning I flocked the base, and let it dry all day, then late in the afternoon I sprayed it with Testor’s “Dullcote”.
I’m pleased with how the he turned out, and figures dressed in all black are always a nice easy paint, as so much of it involved simply drybrushing.
Figure 96 of 265: Complete