Daily Archives: May 1, 2014

Completed Magister Millitum Figures

Buck

As mentioned in a previous post, we have been working with Magister Millitum on a cross promotion of their new, exciting line of fantasy figures and our new, exciting rule book:  Bear Yourselves Valiantly (http://ift.tt/R8xkV3).

The picture above is of figures that are actually from their ancient figure lines.  These are listed under both the ancient codes and the fantasy codes.  They are referred to as Han Chu halbardiers and Classica heavy infantry.

These are two different groups of bowmen.

The cavalry comes with 12 figures in a pack.  For the knights, I thought that ten figures were enough and used two of the figures as commanders.

I’m not normally a pike and shot gamer, so I thought this pose of the pikemen with their pikes over their shoulders was really neat.

And here are examples of more esoteric creatures.

We will be getting together on Saturday to shoot the photos for the rule book.

from Buck’s Blog http://ift.tt/1hYaAS3
via IFTTT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1iOQc6B
via IFTTT

Advertisements

Giant Spiders: Figures 91 & 92 of 265

Chris Palmer

First let me apologize for no Monday post, but it has been really busy around here, as my wife and I are in the process of buying a new house.   I was, however, able to squeeze in the two Giant Spiders from the Vermin set this past week to have something to post today.
      I prepped them in the usual way; soaking overnight in some water with a couple drops of dish soap added, and then giving a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinsing, then drying.  As you may remember from previous posts, I ran out of my usual Krylon Flat Black Camouflage with Fusion spray paint a couple weeks ago, and I was unable to find a replacement can of it. (I hope Krylon hasn’t stopped making it!) So, I got a can of Krylon regular Flat Black Fusion, which I hoped would be the same as the Camouflage variety, but it turned out it wasn’t.  I sprayed these guys with it, and as expected, it left them tacky, even after a few days of drying.        I glued the figures to 1 inch black-primed fender washers, and glued these to a tongue depressor for ease of handling during painting.
        I decided, like the Giant Beetles, I finished a little while ago, that I didn’t want to do theses just plain old black, brown or gray.  So, since I had just done the Giant Beetles in a green scheme, I tried to think of another icky bug color to paint these, and came up with red as a good possibility.  So, like with the Beetles, I went to Google and did an image search for “Red Spiders”.  Eeeeks, there’s a page I didn’t want to study too long, as a page full of pictures of red spiders is a really creepy thing! Anyway, I got a general idea of how a red spider looks with a quick perusal, and set about to paint these Bones.  To start, I painted them with black craft paint to remove the shiny tackiness.  (I may just end up using regular black craft paint to do all my priming from now on, as I really don’t like the tackiness.)

  Next, I painted them with Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon”, gently feathering the paint up onto the rear segment of the body, generally trying to leave this rear segment the original black.

I then dry brushed the areas I has just painted with Ceramcoat “Bright Red”.

I followed this with adding some highlights to the raised areas with Americana “Cadmium Red”.  Next, I cleaned up the black on the rear segments, carefully feathering the black back over any red that had covered too much of the segment. I also added some drybrushed black sections to the tip of each leg. And, at this time I added two black dots for eyes.  Lastly, I painted the fangs with Americana “Buttermilk, and then gave them white highlights; I also added tiny white highlight dots to each eye.
   After the Spiders had a couple hours to dry, I gave them each a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish, and when this was dry, I flocked their bases. I let this dry overnight, and then sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote” the next day.

Like the Giant Beetles, I’m pleased with how these turned out.  I really think using a non-standard color for these worked really well, making them look particularly terrifying.

Figures 91 & 92: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1rK7Mck
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1nNG6pt
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: