Daily Archives: April 14, 2014

A Beholder and a Hydra

Buck

The A Team versus a Hydra

The A Team versus a Hydra

I finished these some time back but didn’t post any pictures.  These are Bones figures.

Dorothy and the Gang versus a Beholder

Dorothy and the Gang versus a Beholder

from Buck’s Blog http://ift.tt/1qBkxav
via IFTTT
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1qBoHz3
via IFTTT

Advertisements

1/72 fantasy project: buildings

Rob Dean

I will take a proper picture when I have the last three buildings I’ve planned, but as an interim, here is a shot of my fantasy village in progress. These are Dave Graffam buildings printed at 65% of their original size, the recommended reduction for 20mm. At that size small details such as chimneys are becoming a little difficult for me to work with, so I prioritized buildings without too many extra parts, and those with smaller footprints. The latter allows some additional visual compression when grouped as a village. The buildings to be built will include another one story hovel, another two story building, and one larger footprint low building for some visual contrast.

via The Sharp End of the Brush http://ift.tt/1eEAkho
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1gwaHjv
via IFTTT

The Beetles! – Figures 87 & 88 of 265

Chris Palmer

Last week I painted the two big beetles from the Vermin set.  I prepped them in the usual way; soaking overnight in some water with a couple drops of dish soap added, and then giving a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinsing, then drying.  Unfortunately, I ran out of my usual Krylon Flat Black Camouflage with Fusion spray paint, and I was unable to find a replacement can of it. (I hope Krylon hasn’t stopped making it!) So, I got a can of Krylon regular Flat Black Fusion, which I hoped would be the same as the Camouflage variety, but it turned out it wasn’t.  I sprayed these guys with it, and it left them tacky, even after a few days of drying.  You can see they’re still a bit shiny in the photo below.  Anyway, I’ve heard reports of folks having success going ahead and painting over the tacky primer paint, so I thought I would forge ahead, and give it a shot.  I glued the figures to 1 inch black-primed fender washers, and glued these to a tongue depressor for ease of handling during painting.

     I  decided I didn’t want to paint theses just boring brown or black, so I thought I’d try a more vibrant color.  I figured green would be a nice icky color for a bug, so I did a quick Google image search for “green bug” to get some ideas.  With those images in my mind, I began by giving the front end of the beetles and their legs a heavy dry brushing with Folk Art “Hauser Green Medium”.

I then went back and filled in the areas where the drybrushing hadn’t quite gone on heavy enough.  I then added highlights to the body and legs with Americana “Olive Green” (which is actually more of a light lime green despite it’s name.)  Next, I painted the back of the body with Folk Art “Metallic Emerald Green”, and then did a little band of Ceramcoat “Metallic Copper” around the edges of the front segment of the beetle.

  Lastly, I painted the pincers and the eyes black, and then gave the pincers a light drybrushing with Folk Art “Medium Gray”. I also added a tiny white highlight dot to each eye.  I painted all the textured surface of the figures’ integral bases with Americana Mississippi Mud, and then let them dry overnight.  I then gave them a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” and let them dry a few hours.  Finally, I flocked the bases.  The next day I sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote” varnish.

  I’m pleased with how these turned out.  And, so far I’m happy to report there has been no return of the tackiness.  Due to family visiting for Easter, there will probably not be a write-up for Thursday.

Figures 87 & 88: Complete

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1jEii3p
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1kRrvcg
via IFTTT

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: