This week, I completed my second three of the Kobolds group from the Dungeon Attack set. I began in the usual way, with soaking them in some water with a little dish soap added, and then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and then rinsing them. When dry, I sprayed them with Krylon Flat Black Camouflage with Fusion spray paint, and when dry, glued them to black-primed 7/8” fender washers with Aleene’s Tacky glue. I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s white glue.
Before I began painting the last group of Kobolds, I had consulted my old trusty D & D Monster Manual, to see how they had described them. The manual had said that they were, “…a very dark rusty brown, to a rusty black.” So,I had decided I wanted to go for the “rusty black” look. To start I applied a coat of Folk Art “Barnyard Red” to the figures to get the “rusty” look. Next, I worked on their clothing, painting their loin cloths Accent “Real Umber”, and the rest of the clothing GW “Blazing Orange”.
Next, I painted the armored shoulder pieces on the two with swords using GW “Snakebite Leather”. Their assorted straps i painted with Americana “Mississippi Mud”. The back of the shield I painted DecoArt Cinnamon Brown”; and the shield handle and any pouches they were wearing I painted Americana “Asphaltum”. For the front of the shield, I used Americana “Cadmium Red”. I then moved to painting the spear shafts Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and the rope binding on the spears with Americana “Sable Brown”. I wrapped up the non-metallics on he figures by painting their horns with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and the skull belt buckles and their teeth and claws, with Americana “Buttermilk”. (Note: on the last group I painted, I hadn’t realized that the thrusting-spear Kobold also had a skull belt buckle like the sword-only Kobold had, and so didn’t paint it on that figure in the last group)
Now I painted the stonework bases with Folk Art “Medium Gray”. Also, this time I noticed there were some vegetation(?) patches on the base of the spear-thrusting Kobold, (which I hadn’t noticed last time) and I painted them DecoArt “Forest Green”. Then, I did all the metal bits; sword, spear points, studs and buckle, with Ceramcoat “Metallic Pewter”.
After all the paint had a while to dry, I gave the figures a wash with thinned Vallejo “Black” ink. I tried to make it thinner this time, since last time the figures came out a little darker than I had wanted.
I then went back and gave the figures’ skin and clothing highlights with the base colors I had used. I then painted black noses on the Kobolds, and “Cadmium Red” dots for eyes. I also used the “Buttermilk” to highlight their teeth. The weapon edges I gave highlights with Folk Art “Silver Sterling”. After everything had time to dry thoroughly, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. When this was dry, I flocked the bases. After the bases had overnight to dry, I sprayed the figures with Testor’s “Dullcote”.
I think these turned out a little better. I don’t know if it’s noticeable in the photo, but they did turn out a little lighter than last time.
Figures 79-81: Complete