Labella DeMornay, Banshee: Figure 57 of 265

Chris Palmer

Having completed the red translucent fire set, and getting some very pleasing results with the last two figures that I painted from that set, I decided it might be fun to start work on the green translucent ghosts set. So I picked out the Labella DeMornay figure from the Haunts set to start with.   I soaked her overnight in some water with dish soap in it, and then scrubbed the figure with an old soft toothbrush and rinsed it.  I let it dry, and then glued it to a 1” black primed fender washer with Aeleen’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple dros of Elmers white glue, for ease of handling while painting.

In thinking about how I wanted to paint this figure, I decided I wanted to do it as a traditional white ghost, (just like Casper 🙂 ).  I wanted to make it look like it was ‘soldifying’ out of the green vaporous trail rising from the ground.  So, to begin with I watered down some white paint to make a wash, and added a bit of dish soap to help it flow better into the creases and crevices of the figure.  I applied the wash to the whole figure, and then hung the figure upside down (see photo below), because I wanted the white wash to gather at the top of the figure and be thinner at the bottom.

After this had dried, I applied the wash a second time, but this time only to the figure from the knees up to make the white thicker and more covering on the top half of the figure;  and again I hung it upside down. to dry.

I now made a wash with Folk Art “Dapple Gray” paint by adding water and a little drop of dish soap, and applied this to the top half f the figure.  I also did some random streaks with this wash in some of the deeper crevices on the bottom half of the figure.

After the “Dapple Grey” wash dried, I went back and drybrushed the figure with white paint; heavier at the top and getting lighter as I worked my way down to the area of the figure’s knees.

When I was finshed this, I went back and filled in the figures mouth with thinned black paint. I also painted the eyes with GW “Goblin Green” and added pupils with Americana “Olive Green”. I then added a tiny white highlight pinpoint to each pupil.   Lastly, I painted the base of the figure with Ceramcoat “Walnut”,  to help hide the translucent nature of it before I flocked over it.  After the figure dried overnight, I painted the whole thing with Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish”. When this dried, I flocked the bases.

Normally, at this point I would spray the figure with Testor’s Dullcote”, but because it has been so freezing cold and snowy and rainy here, I have not had an opportunity to do any spraying in the past week. So that is why you may see some sheen on the figure.  I will spray it later when I have a warm day here

I’m very pleased with how this figure has turned out.  I think the blending of the translucent to opaque turned out well, and helped to give the “look” I was going for.

Figure 57 of 265: Complete (almost!)

via All Bones About It http://ift.tt/1eCj654

Advertisements
Tagged ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: