Daily Archives: October 7, 2013

Shot Down By The River Side – A “Muskets & Tomahawks” Game

Von Greg

I picked up the Musket & Tomahawks rules during the HAWKS Expeditionary Force’s trip to NASHCON 2013 last May so I’ve been trying to run a session every so often when we need an extra game on a HAWKS night.

Game setup:

Initial Game Setup

Our most recent game saw a small British force, supported by German and Indian Allies face off against a large American force composed mostly of Continental regulars.

The British: 400 pts

  • British Officer
  • 8 Regulars
  • 8 Light Infantry, scouts, sharpshooters
  • 8 German Infantry
  • 8 German Jaegers
  • 6 Indians, Auxiliaries

British Mission: Scouting

British side plot: Prevent the Americans from completing their side plot

The Americans – 400 pts

  • American Officer – mounted, warrior
  • 3 groups of 8 Continentals
  • 2 groups of 8 riflemen
  • 8 Minutemen
  • 8 Minutemen

American Mission: Engagement

American side plot: The american officer must personally kill 6 enemies

British Light troops close in on the unsuspecting minutemen

During the early phases of the game, the British commanders made great use of the hidden movement characteristics of their irregular troops and indians and quickly snuck through the woods on the left hand side of the board and into the American lines.

The British regulars on the other hand, got shellacked by enemy fire while marching up the dirt road leading to the bridge in the middle of the board. Luckily, they found cover behind a stone wall, but that proved little help against the withering fire of the American rifles and the Continental firing line.

2013-09-27 20.11.02

The regulars trade volleys

As the game wore on, the British Lights and the indians made short work of one group of Minutemen on the American left flank, but couldn’t deal with the overwhelming numbers of the Continentals. Still, they managed to scout 75% of the objective. The German and British regular infantry fared far worse and were shot down to a man. The German Jaegers had some moderate success and were able to plunge deep into the center of the board, but poor dice results limited their effectiveness vs the bulk of the American forces.

If you go out in the woods today...

If you go out in the woods today…

The Americans went far from unscathed as their commander was brought down mid game by some expert musketry from the Indians, but the most ignominious demise went to the British commander, shot in the back while fleeing from the second unit of Minutemen. You could almost here him say “Oh, you cheeky devil!” as he sank face first into the mud and slime of the river bank.

2013-09-27 21.17.07

You shot me! You…cheeky…devil…

In the final analysis, it was a narrow victory for the British who accomplished most of their primary objective and completed their side plot by dispatching the American officer relatively early in the game.

All in all, it was a great game. The group really seems to like the rule system, and I’m especially fond of the card based activation, the random events and scenario generator.It does take a few games to really get the hang of all the nuances. I blame most of the confusion on poor translation (the rules were originally published in French) and the lack of proper quick play charts in the back of the book.

via Don’t Give Greg Ideas http://bit.ly/1gkSTdy

Advertisements
Tagged ,

Ink Washing Bones to Bring Out Details

Chris Palmer

Sorry to my regular readers, but I didn’t get a figure finished this week. However, I thought I’d share a little on my efforts with using ink to bring out the details in the Bones figures.  As I have mentioned in past posts, I have been having a bit of trouble painting some of the Bones figures due to the large amount of detail on them, and the difficulty I was having in seeing this detail on the bright white figures under my bright painting light.

To help with this problem I thought I would experiment with applying a black ink wash over the figure in hopes it would shade the lines between details on the figure in an effort to make them more visible.  My first effort didn’t work out so well, as the ink just pooled on the plastic figure. (See photo below)

I then remembered an old trick to help break the surface tension in inks and paints; which is to apply a tiny bit of dish soap to the liquid.  The soap helps the ink or paint to flow over the surface and prevents the beading and pooling I was getting.  So I added a tiny pin-head of dish soap to the ink I was applying, and had much better success. (See photo below)  This allowed the ink to flow into the recesses of the details, highlighting them nicely. Now painting the details will be much easier.

I will be continuing to work with this method on future figures.

via All Bones About It http://bit.ly/1fdbzwV

Tagged ,
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: