Mark A. Morin
In my last painting post, the Germans got some recon vehicles. For my Normandy Breakout scenario for What a Tanker!©, I wanted some American and British scout cars. I have some rules modifications and Bonus Attack cards for my games to up the action a bit – as well as to create a more rounded scenario – and recon is one of my additions that I will discuss and share in my next post.
Back to gathering the models – I ended up with American M8 Greyhounds and Daimler Dingoes. It was difficult to find suitable 15mm/1:100 scale models. From Noble Knight Games, I found a couple of 3 Dingo blister packs of Battlefront Daimler Dingoes (#BR310 – now out-of-production). I got these a few days before I was scheduled to run the Normandy Breakout game – so time was not on my side. I built one pack for Normandy and will save the other one for North Africa. As for the M8 Greyhounds, I ended up buying a three-vehicle bag from Old Glory of Command Decision models (#CD207). All of these arrived the week of the game. Tick tock….
The Dingo trio came with bendy metal machine guns to mount on top, but I did not see these surviving tabletop play – or even being easy to mount. I think the Dingoes work well as I completed them. If I ever get a few Daimler Armored Cars, or any Humber Scout Cars, they would be easy and fun to add to the British forces. The Dingoes’ crews of two were not very detailed, but I tried my best. The Old Glory M8 Greyhounds did not come with crew, and I saw afterwards that you can buy crew separately from them; however, by then it was too late for my schedule. The M8’s also had machine guns, but these models are all metal. The 37mm guns on the M8’s were spindly enough, so for the same reason as the Dingoes, I left off the large machine guns.
Normally, I set up my completed minis on a tabletop, but given that my game was coming up, I decided to take some shots of them in the sun on my deck railing (yes, the deck needs paint but will be replaced soon I hope!). This is after all Massachusetts – stuff weathers naturally!
The biggest challenge with these was their size, followed by the US stars on the M8’s for aircraft ID. It was different for sure.
My next post will detail these vehicles’ experiences in their little battle last Saturday! There was some action for sure.
Thanks for looking! Any favorites? Comments? Always appreciate your feedback in the comments section!
PAINTS, INKS, GLAZES, SHADES, WASHES, PIGMENTS, FLOCKING, GLUES AND MORE USED ON THESE VEHICLES:
- Gorilla Glue
- E6000 epoxy
- Vallejo “Flow Improver”
- Vallejo “Airbrush Thinner”
- Vallejo “Surface Primer – Russian Green”
- Vallejo “Surface Primer – Black”
- Vallejo Model Air “US Olive Drab”
- Army Painter “Military Shader” (wash)
- Battlefront “European Skin”
- Battlefront “Skin Shade” (wash)
- Testors “Universal Acrylic Thinner”
- Vallejo “Light Brown”
- Vallejo Game Air “Satin” (varnish)
- Battlefront “Battlefield Brown
- Battlefront “Dark Gunmetal”
- Appropriate decals from Battlefront
- Microscale Micro-Set
- Microscale Micro-Sol
- Microscale Liquid Decal Film
- Vallejo “Gloss Varnish”
- Vallejo “European Mud” (Thick Mud)
- Vallejo “European Slash Mud” (Splash Mud)
- Vallejo Mecha Varnish “Matt Varnish
from Mark A. Morin https://markamorin.com/2019/07/02/dingoes-and-greyhounds-for-normandy/
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/186007439058